• Register Today It's free!

Aux port for 2001 XLT

Jp Madison

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
My Explorer is as old as me and it was a gift from my grandmother. Ofc, it being as old as it is and only being taken to shop only about 5 times, it has a lot wrong with it. Ill be on here a lot asking questions on what to do with it. I've gone across the internet to look for the make and model of my XLT specifically but it seems like I got unlucky and jts difficult bc it seems like that was the year they made some changes to the engine bay and the inside of the car.
Anyways, thd first project I want to work on with it is smaller but will make the car a lot more enjoyable for me: an aux port. Inside of my explorer, I have a headphone jack and its in the back seat. I know that the heaphone jack from the back seat is an "output port" for the radio and cd player, but Im wondering how I can turn that into an "input port" for an aux cord and to play my music from my phone. If someone has any idea how I can start on this/know of a video that can help me out, I would appreciate it a lot!
Id rather start from there instead of making a whole new port from my radio and possibly breaking it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't understand this statement - "I got unlucky and jts difficult bc it seems like that was the year they made some changes to the engine bay and the inside of the car." Specifically what are you referring to?

The Gen II Explorers are pretty much identical inside and out from 1995-2001. Of those years the 2000-2001 5.0L's are (IMO) probably the most desirable years to have as Ford made improvements the drive train components over the years which resulted in a more reliable vehicle.

If your only current concern is that you don't have an AUX port on the OE radio, there used to be places that would add an AUX port to old radios. IDK if any places still make this modification or if it's something you might do yourself. Perhaps one of the forum's electronics/audiophile members will chime in on that subject. You might also consider installing an aftermarket radio, which would already have an AUX port and could offer additional functionality.

Do they still make the "cassette tape" adapter still? It has the input cable
dangling out to hook up whatever..

BTW they are not to hard to make too.

+1 for cassette adapter. I still use the stock radio with one of these. the audio quality is pretty good, good enough that I don't care to get a new radio until it breaks.

Having the headphone out jack does not really make it any easier to end up with an input jack.

Cassette tape adapter? I don't have a cassette feature and never missed it. instead I got one of those lighter outlet powered bluetooth FM transmitter things. I'd link the one I got but today there are both fancier and cheaper units available. Some examples:

Music Transmitter for Cigarette Lighter: Amazon.com

Back