A/C Leaking r134a,,,, but I can't find the leak,, even with UV dye. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Leaking r134a,,,, but I can't find the leak,, even with UV dye.

Juckerz

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
2004 Explorer XLT 2wd

My refrigerant is going somewhere,,, a full charge lasts about a month,,,, compressor works fine when the system is charged. I recharged the system and put dye in today,,, blowing ice cold during a 30 minute drive,,, but afterwards,,,, could not find a trace of a leak in the engine bay,,, top or underside,, nothing leaking under the car.

I'm a fumbling idiot,,,please don't shout at me,, I'm just guessing. Does this mean the problem is behind the firewall? Evap or condenser?

Is there an easy way to check either without removing the dash? (There is no trace of dye inside the car that I can see, vents etc).

Thanks guys for any help,,, I'm no expert,,, just a timing-belt 'level' home mechanic,, but if it's something I can take on,, I will.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a flexible camera, remove the blower, and stick the camera into the evaporator area and look for dark colored dirt patches where oil is leaking out and debris is sticking

get a flexible camera, remove the blower, and stick the camera into the evaporator area and look for dark colored dirt patches where oil is leaking out and debris is sticking

The blower? lol,, where is that exactly? and how do I remove it. :)

If you have Freon Gas Sniffer this method has worked for me in the past.

Charge system. Let vehicle sit for several hours.

Put Freon sniffer in center console vent and turn the key on, with low blower setting, but do not start the engine.

If the evaporator is leaking you should get a brief indication on the Freon Sniffer as the blower sucks up the Freon that has accumulated in the case.

Check the dash drain for oil/dye

Do you have caps on the service ports?
Yes Sir,,, caps in place,, no leaks on either side,, or along any of the lines,,, dryer & compressor totally clean too.

Has anyone had any luck with these sealant products? I figure if it takes a month to lose charge,,, it must be a fairly minor leak.

Thanks for all the advice btw,,, I appreciate it,,,, about to go borrow a sniffer from a friend.

Back