EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
Hey gang,
Being lazy here again....but doesn't hurt to get some suggestions before jacking up the old beast again for diagnosing...
So as of lately if/when I brake while going over a bump (size irregardless) I hear some light clatter/thumping at my right wheel.... does NOT do it when braking on smooth / flat pavement....seems to do it a hair when turning ...but not always.
This started happening after doing some mild off-roading.
So.....what's the likely culprit?
Cracked brake pad?.... would a troubled CV joint emit this?

**Have NEW upper control arms / upper ball joints and all NEW inner/outer tie-rods...all other bushings look good /solid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just crawled under and both are still installed....can't tell for sure if one/both have slightly backed out....no red flags... will confirm when wheel off etc...

Assuming that the front wheels are the subject matter. Lift your Ex. Support on jack stands on the crossmember. Lock steering wheel. Grab tire at 12 and 6 o'clock position, and rock the tire inwards and outwards. Then grab tire at 9 and 3 o'clock position, and rock the tire inwards and outwards. Report back what you feel & hear.

Replacing the parts you listed may now be exposing other bad driveline, bearings & steering parts.

Hope that helps!

Is all the break pad/caliper hardware installed
?

I'd start by checking your front sway-bar end links. They are a common cause of noise when the bushings wear/fall out and sometimes the bolts break and can even fall out. As aid also check your brake calipers and hardware, ball joints and wheel bearings.

+1 for sway bar links. Also, you can't seriously tell if your brake caliper bracket is loose or not just visually, get a socket on there and check.

Brake pads can also rattle if the retaining clips are worn or broken.

What about going over a bump and not braking at the time? If you still get the noise I'd suspect lower ball joint. Otherwise, sway bar link seems as likely as anything but again should do it regardless of whether braking or not. If it only happens braking then brake component or possibly a loose or broken shock absorber.

Thanks everyone for your great input! I decided to wait till tomorrow when dealership / more parts availability in case I need special part - don't want to jack up twice - have to work in street here and don't want eyesore for neighbors on jack stands overnight.

What about going over a bump and not braking at the time?
It does not do it over bump unless happen to be braking simultaneously - like braking on speed bump / or on poor road coming up to stoplight.

I crawled under with ratchet and caliper bolts are very tight...... for $30 Firestone will do thorough diagnosis / test drive etc so going to pass onto them and then fix what's wrong myself (as usual)
P.S. *** Discovered today this noise / clanking is most pronounced WHEN TURNING RIGHT AND BRAKING...does not happen turning left and braking....and especially obvious if turning up driveway in that right/brake scenario....
Will report Firestone's findings tomorrow afternoon...so as to help anyone else who comes across this scenario..etc...

I crawled under with ratchet and caliper bolts are very tight...... for $30 Firestone will do thorough diagnosis / test drive etc so going to pass onto them and then fix what's wrong myself (as usual)
P.S. *** Discovered today this noise / clanking is most pronounced WHEN TURNING RIGHT AND BRAKING...does not happen turning left and braking....and especially obvious if turning up driveway in that right/brake scenario....
Will report Firestone's findings tomorrow afternoon...so as to help anyone else who comes across this scenario..etc...

Left front wheel hub assembly perhaps.

So the Pros at Firestone cannot figure out what is causing it either....did inspection ...all "looks" good....test drove and experience the noise as well in scenarios I pointed out etc....so to recap it always makes this noise (at right wheel only) when turning right AND braking simultaneously (especially loud when pulling in parking lot "ramp" turning right/braking) ....and then on braking straight WHILE going over a bump (pothole / speed bump) .....it sounds like the whole right wheel assembly is going to rattle apart when it happens but immediately disappears upon releasing brake. Back to square one of me jacking up / wheel-off inspection....will update...

You mentioned having NEW upper control arms in your OP. The nuts are known to come loose if not torqued to the 100 ft/lb. spec. Seems to be even more common when using camber bolt kits. I had a similar noise when turning into driveways and found the rear nuts on both control arms loose. Make sure you don't move the bolt heads tighten with the suspension loaded and tires on the ground or the LCA bushings will bind, wear quickly, or tear.

Alignment printout help

Cupping on your tire tread try to rotate your tires

Has the suspension been modified in any way, larger tires, or the front end sagging? I'm wondering if the wheel is rubbing something... maybe just the wheel well liner?

You could take the liner out to see if the noise persists, though I'd think you would see rub marks on it, and IIRC there's something mounted to the liner that would need secured elsewhere (engine bay side, bolts going through to wheel side) but I don't recall what, maybe a vac canister or something? That's on my '98 SOHC though, on a '95 I do not know.

It is a slight possibility that the abs sensor or wire may have been damaged when you were off road. That fact the you ONLY hear the noise under the conditions described when the brake is applied tells me you should be looking at all things brake. In the early days of ABS strange things sometimes happened when braking over bumps, etc.. You wouldn't necessarily trigger a light.

It is also possible you have a small stone or dirt in an odd place causing your problem.
Good luck

^ Seems like he'd feel pedal oscillation if ABS was triggered, or have a dash ABS light lit with no signal from that wheel? I'm not clear on how either would cause chatter/thumping noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it is not the caliper bolts, only so many parts in the front end related to braking.. BTW, they (caliper bolts) need to be torqued to 120 ft lbs or so.... a good bit of torque. Others probably know the exact spec... So assume it is not related to braking, I would check the sway bar end links, they all pretty much fail after 100K+ miles and corrosive conditions... good luck...

Back