Is it Okay to Install Sway Bar End Links Upside Down? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it Okay to Install Sway Bar End Links Upside Down?

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I recently took on the task of replacing my worn out sway bar end links with the MOOG k7275 kit and the energy suspension 9.8103G bushings, but I couldn’t get the middle part of the link to fit.

On the OE sway bar, there is a fixed nut on one end of the rod, and a removable bolt on the other. Long story short, the only way I could force everything in was by turning the rod upside down to the fixed nut was on top and the bolt on the bottom. I don’t see a problem with this, but you guys are much smarter than me.

If that isn’t a good idea, would be suitable to replace the curved washers with some flat ones from Lowe’s or something?

Thanks for the input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stock on my 2010, at least, stock when I got it, had the nut on top and bolt coming up from the bottom. I did it the other way when I replaced it because it made one **** of a racket when the nut, bolt, and link departed the vehicle after the nut somehow came undone...
But, assuming everything stays tight, I dont see how it could be an issue. It actually might be better with the bolt on the bottom because it keeps the threads and nut up higher and less susceptible to corrosion

Alright, cool. There’s not too much salt/rust down here in OK, but I’ll spray all the metal bits with some rustoleum just to be safe.

The nut is nylon lock type so should not come loose. But if the link itself breaks, then it will drop down, may not be cool for the car behind you doing 60, or your undercarriage.
Just my 0.02

^ Agree. Lock nuts are supplied with the Moog K7275 end links. Getting the nuts started on the threads with the K7275 cup washers was too difficult so I reused the flat washers provided with the smaller ES 9.8105G bushing/washer kit and enlarged the washer holes to 7/16". If you can't install them with the K7275 cup washers look for 7/16 x 1-1/8" or larger O.D. washers. If not found at local hardware check with Fastenal.

Sway Bar Links

Universal End Link Grommets - 9.8105

Yeah, I had the same problem so I had to use flat washers.

I was able to undo the bolt, pull the bar with the nut through and out, and then flip it and reinstall, so that the nut attached to the bar is on bottom with the removable bolt on top, as per recommended.

Did you do the rear sway bar end links as well? I know MOOG makes a similar kit for it, and I’m assuming the same energy bushings would theoretically fit, but I’m a little worried about having enough space to install them. Do the rear sway bars even make a large enough difference to make replacing them worth it?

Thanks for all the help!

Back