Solved - DIY shackles (how much lift?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved DIY shackles (how much lift?)

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Hacra

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nurmijärvi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Hey, wanted to ask a question, how much lift will i gain? and do i need new rear shocks (using gabriel load carrier coil overs)

This is what i made (x4).

measurements.jpg

I took rough measurements of stock and it was that 5.5" added new hole every few inches, from what i understand, every 2 inches of shackle lift, 1 inch will be gained, so at max setting i will gain 2 inches of lift?

Edit: Yes, cross support will be welded, as soon as i get to test fit them.
Edit 2: material is 10mm (25/64″) thick. Overkill, i know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

correct

Because the shackle only lifts the back half of the spring for every inch of shackle length you lengthen you get .5" of "lift"

What ended up happening was, that the car is now level (which is nice) around 33" from ground to fender arc highest point. Though i carry around 200-300 kg (440 - 660 lbs) of crap in the trunk all the time, so that removed, i'll gain inch or two. Generally this is success already, even though i am not done with it.

Anyone wanting to use equally thick material, my advice is; don't. the bolt barely just reaches through, i might have to get longer bolts now. perhaps 6-8mm thick material would have been better, easier to drill through too. ps. the bolt holes are 14mm. Drilling sequence 5mm -> 10mm -> 12mm -> 14mm.

Next up i guess is A/T or M/T tires.

IMG_20190712_175513.jpg
IMG_20190712_183404.jpg

My advice is one that nobody likes to hear for this mod....

While using lift shackles is a cheap method to gain some lift, it can have the opposite affect than originally desired. A lot depends on the condition of the leaf packs used.

Lift shackles can cause more harm than good eventually. Especially with older leaf packs. They change where the weight is placed onto the springs, with more being at the rear. Stock shackles distribute the weight more evenly to both front & rear hangers. The end result with lift shackles is they invert the springs the opposite direction, and more so on older leaf packs. You will lose lift because of this, and the ride will deteriorate over time.

Looking at your picture above, I can see the main leaf is already past flat, and inverting already. New leaf packs will give you back the arch, and lift, and depending on the type of leafs used, these can invert over time as well. The more you flex the leafs, the faster the inversion happens. If you buy new leaf packs, might as well buy lift packs, and use stock length shackles. There are 6" length x 3/8" thick shackles available that will only increase the lift by 1/4", and distribute the weight better, and give a longer life span to the leaf arches.

When lifting with shackles, it changes the pinion angle. Sometimes up to 3* or more, depending on the amount of lift. A correction can be made by either changing the leaf perch mounts on the axle tubes, or using angled perch shims. Lift leafs can also have this effect, but not as drastic. Best to measure the angles on the diff & t-case flanges to see where your at angle wise, to be safe.

I speak from years of experience with this, as I too started with a shackle lift on a couple of explorers, and learned the hard expensive way. Just trying to save you the same frustration. My belief it is best to wait, and save up for the lift leaf packs. Pay once, cry once, and move on to the next mod.

Good thing i drilled holes to original height as well, so i can revert back to original height if needed.

I was reading about few ways to lift and was wondering, should i buy completely new leaf packs and do SOA, but then this all would get completely out of hand (which i am afraid it's already starting to happen).

SOA would give you 5.5" of rear lift with a good set of stock leaf packs. You would need a 4" drop lift kit installed to get close to that height suspension wise. Now your talking real mod $$.

Some other options:

Using stock length shackles and doing the F-150 hybrid mod (Franken packs) will net you close to 2" of lift, and cost under $100. You can install an add a leaf kit down the road for more lift if desired, for another $100 or so.

Custom leaf packs made for flexing and lift can cost well over $500, and up to $1k depending on the type/brand/shipping costs. Brand new stock leaf packs aren't too bad at around $200 - $250.

Some have done what they call a sloped body lift & SOA, but it has a rake with the rear higher. If your not familiar with this mod, it involves cutting the 3" lift pucks a little. Front pucks are 3" and gradually down to nothing in the rear. I have also seen this done with 4" lift leaf packs and sprung under. That method looks the best as the 1" rake isn't so noticeable.

There are a lot of threads / stickies, on this subject, as we have been messing with these rigs now for over 20 years. What can be done, has been done to them. Other than one off crazy mods yet to be done. lol

You need longer bolts, the threads are not even all the way through the nut! Those nuts are acorn style lock nuts without the thread reaching all the way through they are not "locking" no matter what you decide, get some longer bolts....

Now that i have been scolded from multiple directions and of multiple issues.

I went and bought new bolts\nuts which are long and strong enough. Also i removed all the tools, etc. from trunk and rear end rose up about 1", also the leaf isn't as badly inverted. This got me thinking of add a leaf kit to revive the old leaf pack a little, would this work? or would the main leaf still stay inverted?

Back