Upper control arm replacement part 2001 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper control arm replacement part 2001 Explorer Sport

Livewire322

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Hello all,

I need to replace the upper ball joints on my 2001 Explorer Sport.

I noticed on RockAuto that there are two options for the right front upper control arm and was wondering if you have to stick with the original adjustable one as show here: More Information for MEVOTECH CMK8710T

Or if I can install one of these: More Information for MEVOTECH CMK80068

The vehicle has the adjustable OEM control arms on it currently (first link)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use either one...but, why do you want to deviate from the original 2-pc design? It's a much easier install.

I got a new set of one piece control arms for free...

Go ahead and install them, since the price is right.
The 2-piece allows for caster adjustment in the event the vehicle
pulls to the left or right. You can always install the 2-piece later if
needed, but it's unlikely.

I was told that caster could be adjusted using the camber bolts by adjusting one bolt clockwise and the other counter clockwise with the one piece units

You can install that. If you were only doing the right side, then only replacing the BJ piece of the OE two piece design might allow you to avoid having to have a wheel alignment done, but since you are doing the left upper BJ (control arm) too, you will need an alignment anyway.

Replacing the whole control arm gives the benefit of having new bushings, while (IMO) the BJs wear out faster than the bushings. Some people may want to go ahead and do the whole arm to get new bushings, and yet some might want to go a step further and get a new upper control arm with a replaceable BJ (factory upper cannot have the BJ alone replaced) so next time they only have to replace the BJ.

Might depend on your goal... safe enough (just BJ to not lose a wheel) or improved handling (whole arm with new bushings). However I have no experience with the Mevotech parts, how long lasting they are.

You can install that. If you were only doing the right side, then only replacing the BJ piece of the OE two piece design might allow you to avoid having to have a wheel alignment done, but since you are doing the left upper BJ (control arm) too, you will need an alignment anyway.

Replacing the whole control arm gives the benefit of having new bushings, while (IMO) the BJs wear out faster than the bushings. Some people may want to go ahead and do the whole arm to get new bushings, and yet some might want to go a step further and get a new upper control arm with a replaceable BJ (factory upper cannot have the BJ alone replaced) so next time they only have to replace the BJ.

Might depend on your goal... safe enough (just BJ to not lose a wheel) or improved handling (whole arm with new bushings). However I have no experience with the Mevotech parts, how long lasting they are.

The Mevotech parts are okay, but I prefer the high-end Moog pieces.

Back