1998 and newer regular cab work for me? With a cage? 6’5” | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 and newer regular cab work for me? With a cage? 6’5”

RALLYRS

Reaction score
City, State
SIMI VALLEY,CALIFORNIA
Man I thought I posted here before....
Looks like I registered in 2008 and then never posted, oh well anyway here goes.

I’m 6’5” 300 pounds.

Thinking about doing a production class rally truck.
The weight and wheel base of the extended cab is a no go for me.

I’m looking at 2004 and newer trucks on craigslist.
2004 and Newer because of the updated intake and exhaust manifolds.

Only looking at 2.3 Duratec regular cab manual transmission vehicles.

Couple of jobs ago at work I drove a regular cab ranger (automatic)sometimes that I believe was a 2007 and I seem to fit OK.

It felt a little more cramped than my daily driver, which is a 2004 Ford focus ZX3, but not terrible.

The worst part seemed to be the headliner to head clearance. Like the stock seats in the truck were mounted up stupid high.

I believe with the seats mounted lower I would be OK.

But of course that before a cage is put in the vehicle so it’s only going to get worse.

But I’ve also read that the manual transmission lever may try and fight for room with my leg as well.

Looks like they stretched the regular cab 3” in 1998.

So if we have anybody in 98 or newer regular cab rangers-especially manuals-that are 6’5” or more please post up.

My gut feeling is with the cage installed even with the seats mounted to the floor I’m going to be pushing it.

You could go with other-than-factory seats...or is that not allowed in this class?

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Yes I would be using FIA approved race seats appropriate for rally.

Mounted low!

Wish I could sit in a regular cab that did not have factory seat mounts and factory seats,but race seats mounted lower.

I know I could daily drive one, even with a regular cab, but adding a roll cage and throwing a helmet on when you are my height can change things.

One of the reasons I went with a focus ZX3 for my rallycross car is because I have miles of headroom even with a helmet on. No sunroof of course.

I’m considering the Ranger over the focus for the stage rally build just for the durability.

The focus would most likely be faster and make a better rally car.

But most likely more maintenance and possibly repairs because it’s a car.

I am kind of looking for the easy button rallying a ranger.
Probably won’t be at the front of the pack, but get some experience. Maybe build something faster down the road.

Back