96 4.0 explorer 4wd lights blinking several times and windows not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0 explorer 4wd lights blinking several times and windows not working

Reaction score
City, State
Valley springs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0
these two problems occur at the same time. If I turn my key over and I see the 4wd lights flashing. I can assume my windows won’t roll up or down. Tried researching online. Nothing. YouTube. Nothing. Has anyone dealt with this? I have reason to believe my car is stuck in 4wd lo but I am going to remove driveshaft to the front. I hope that takes it back to 2wd. But as for the window issue, i need to fix it. How much could it be to rip apart door and just make the window manual?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your GEM Computer is Foobar. It is located I BELIEVE... it is to the left of the radio inside of the dash.
Sometimes taking the connector off, putting it back, may help if it is corroded.
You have to find a GEM from a very similarly optioned car. E.G. 96, 4wd, auto trans

Sounds like your GEM Computer is Foobar. It is located I BELIEVE... it is to the left of the radio inside of the dash.
Sometimes taking the connector off, putting it back, may help if it is corroded.
You have to find a GEM from a very similarly optioned car. E.G. 96, 4wd, auto trans
I see. Do you think it’s the computer I took apart the electrical connector for the motor switch on the transfer case from what I can see there is white crystally stuff in the little holes. I tried blowing air in it. And nothing. Some came out from lightly tapping it on the wall but it seems a good amount is still stuck. I think I need to put something down in the middle and clean it out.

Mega fuse 6 ?* (the green 30A one in the fuse box under the hood i had the same issue After grounding my 8ga power wire coming from my amp to the frame if not id check accy power relay gem module etc

Don't give up on your power windows just yet. I had the exact same issue and fixed it with ease after testing the Accessory Delay Relay and replacing it for less than 15$. Here is some information to get started:
The accessory delay relay is located under the dash on the driver side near the center console. "Lay on your back and put your head next to the gas petal and look up there is a rectangular black box with a cover on it. Pull this cover off and it will have up-to 7 relays. {My explorer had 5}, 6 of them the same size and rectangular and one more square is the accessory delay relay" This is also the first relay you can touch. If you want to check to see if the accessory delay relay is bad just create a jumper with spaded connections on both ends and jumper from terminals 87 to 30. You need to read this information from the back of the relay and transpose it to the terminals.

There's many layers to your Explorer issues....but yeah...if you have any kind of corrosion build-up at any connections thoroughly address those - not just partially.. I recommend a can of CRC QD Electrical cleaner - cleans good / dries quick and doesn't leave residue - hence electrical cleaner.
And if that doesn't resolve some of your issues replace it/ GEM as 96 mentioned.

Back