• Register Today It's free!

Dealer Add Ons

NPNelson

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
It's been 8 years since I bought a car and forgot about the gauntlet of dealer add ons that I have to run through. I was somewhat surprised that they still try to offer rustproofing/undercoating, which I immediately dismissed. My 2011 is doing just fine and it is exposed to salt in the winter.

But, they offered something that I wasn't familiar with and that is the Simoniz Glasscoat (ceramic coating) for the paint. I wasn't familiar with the ceramics so I've done some research and there appears to be some mixed reviews.

I don't like washing/waxing my car myself. All I do is take it to the brushless car wash periodically. Can anyone offer any opinions?

P.S. Sorry, after I posted I realized that maybe this should be in the Body Work & Detailing forum, but I don't think I have permissions to move it. I've just spent so much time thinking about the 2020 I forgot there is a larger world out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been 8 years since I bought a car and forgot about the gauntlet of dealer add ons that I have to run through. I was somewhat surprised that they still try to offer rustproofing/undercoating, which I immediately dismissed. My 2011 is doing just fine and it is exposed to salt in the winter.

But, they offered something that I wasn't familiar with and that is the Simoniz Glasscoat (ceramic coating) for the paint. I wasn't familiar with the ceramics so I've done some research and there appears to be some mixed reviews.

I don't like washing/waxing my car myself. All I do is take it to the brushless car wash periodically. Can anyone offer any opinions?

P.S. Sorry, after I posted I realized that maybe this should be in the Body Work & Detailing forum, but I don't think I have permissions to move it. I've just spent so much time thinking about the 2020 I forgot there is a larger world out there.
Check around where you live and bet you find someone with mobile detail. Saves time when they come to you! I they and use at least 1st a week.

My salesman hasn't attempted to sell me any add-ons except the ESP which I've always taken. I hand wash mine in the driveway 2 or 3 times a year. Personally, I wouldn't opt for any add on paint finishing or covering. I did get the OEM cargo liner for my '14 MKT and '17 Platinum. Both work great in combo for large loads with the 2nd row folded.:)

Peter

Ceramic coating is phenomenal but it is extremely labor intensive. From what I have read and people I've talked to, you can be talking 15-20 hours of labor depending on the size of the vehicle. There are a few different levels, one of them requiring a yearly touch up (not the right terminology).. I've seen $1,000-$2,000 jobs from professionals for this but once done, it is amazing.

What was your dealer quoting you?

Check out this thread with pictures..

My ceramic coating experience

detail day - ceramic coating. - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

And here is why it is so expensive if you have it done professional.. look at what they do..

Car Ceramic Coating | Salem, New Hampshire | Tint World - (603) 328-5158

They wanted $695 for the ceramic coating and an interior protection package. After reading your links and more, I'm leaning towards having a professional detailer apply some ceramics and a clear bra and then I can have them detail it periodically, that way they own the whole process. I doubt the dealer would do as good as a job as a professional detailer

.......................I'm leaning towards having a professional detailer apply some ceramics and a clear bra...................
Let's hope Ford got the hood bubbling issue resolved.

Peter

The trick with the ceramic coatings is that the paint should be *corrected* before the coating is applied.

To illustrate, I'll tell my story. I bought a 2017 Focus RS. After they had "prepped the vehicle for the customer" they brought it outside and - in the shade underneath an overhang off the dealership's car-port entry" the thing looked great.

Got it home - swirls from the dealership "cleaning it" but not actually properly washing it. Scratches, you name it. Dragging my hand in a zip-lock with some fluid showed that there was iron and all sorts of stuff on the paint too (i.e. from transport, and sitting in lots).

I paid a local fellow to correct as many flaws as we he could in the paint, clean it up, and coat it with ceramic.

The ceramic is awesome. 2 years later and water (etc) just shed off the vehicle. It makes washing a 5 minute job (with a 2 bucket equivalent system, for those that are still reading).

If you can find someone local to do it, I highly recommend it. It won't "protect" your paint, like a film does, but it makes things have a difficult time to adhere to the paint.

I am *highly* suspicious that a dealership would properly clean up the paint on the vehicle before doing this. If they don't, then coatings/film just amplify scratches, spiderwebs and waffling. Which is why everyone recommends correcting the paint *first*, then applying after. If they're charging you $695 for ceramic and an interior cloth protection, there's no way they are doing this properly. $.02.

Back