Test drove an ST, Plat and Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test drove an ST, Plat and Limited

lottadot

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford, Focus, RS
All were very nice vehicles. The Platinum had the 3.0 in it, the Limited the I-4.

The ST *moves*. It's ride is definitely more harsh then the PL/LI. (my wife has back issues, so I am pre-eval'ing them all). There's no way she could do the ST, unfortunately :(

The Platinum had the large iPad screen in it - it's HUGE. Seems overkill to me. It rode great, and it seemed a bit quicker then the limited.

The Limited had the I-4 in it, which is what I was most curious about. I was hesitant about the huge SUV's weight with a 4-cylinder. If I hit the gas (I didn't floor it, it's not my vehicle) there's that turbo lag, and then there's the transmission trying to find a gear. But - I felt that on the Platinum - maybe to a slightly lesser extent. The ST - it just took off with seemingly less delay.

For some background, my daily is a Focus RS (yes, my wife hates it). We are looking at purchasing a 2020 Explorer for her if the ride is smooth enough. I think it'd be perfect for us w/ the Limited w/ the 18" tires. But we can't get that. We need the limited's 10-way passenger seat. But to get that Ford boosts you to the 20" rims.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. I have found many of all the forum's prior posts quite helpful in our travails trying to evaluate whether this vehicle will work for us or not.

Thanks,
Shane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the U.S. that 'huge' screen is part of the optional Premium Technology Package which also includes the massaging front seats. The 8" horizontal screen is standard.

Peter

I wouldn't be concerned about the ride on the 20" wheels. I have the 20" wheels on my XLT. The ride is smooth. It's probably better in the limited.
Edit..added.. I wouldn't be concerned with the 2.3L I4 Ecoboost either. I don't notice any turbo lag, and it punches it when I need it to.

In the U.S. that 'huge' screen is part of the optional Premium Technology Package which also includes the massaging front seats. The 8" horizontal screen is standard.

Peter

Do you happen to know if the ST can have the same 10-way adjustable passenger seat?

The Explorer brochure the dealership gave us - which my wife said she analyzed, says that's a "No", so she nix'd the idea of the ST. But if you can get the massaging front seats in the ST, I'd think they'd be 10-way-adjustable too??

Do you happen to know if the ST can have the same 10-way adjustable passenger seat?

The Explorer brochure the dealership gave us - which my wife said she analyzed, says that's a "No", so she nix'd the idea of the ST. But if you can get the massaging front seats in the ST, I'd think they'd be 10-way-adjustable too??

Order guide says:

Seats — 10-way Power Passenger Seat (includes Power Lumbar and Recline)

The order guide is the 1 and only document to go by.

Back