• Register Today It's free!

Automatic to manual

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
I was wondering is there anyway to convert an automatic to a manual transmission for my 4 door xlt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything is possible with enough money and effort, the real question is: Is the conversion to manual trans. worth the money and effort to do so?
Best thing to do is to just find a complete manual transmission vehicle and fix it up to your liking.

Yea, you gotta point thank you.

it depends on your abilities
Have you ever removed or installed a transmission before?

the answer is yes it can be done and has been done many many times for many years now. The information is there and the parts are available, it can be a near bolt in conversion....but it is a conversion not just a trans swap

Thank you for correcting me, I had no idea.

I am a newbie here, so someone correct me if I’m wrong, but since your 2000 year model truck was available from the factory as a manual transmission, all the parts you need should be theoretically available from the bone Yard.

Although in my neck of the woods, finding manual transmission explorers are extremely rare,So you may have to look a bit depending on your area.

Do you have the pushrod 4.0 or SOHC 4.0?

This is just a quote from wiki:

“A Mazda-produced 5-speed manual was standard with OHV V6 engine. The SOHC did not receive the 5-speed until 2000, but it was a stronger unit than the one behind the OHV.”

B8DF8784-C3AF-45BE-AE35-BC58380EA45E.jpeg

Thank you so much! This helps!

I am curious -do we have anybody here that is running a 5.0 2nd gen explorer with a manual trans behind it?

Anyone?

5-20k and a trip to marriage counseling later and I’m sure Someone will.

okay here we go

You can convert the 4.0 pushrod or overhead cam engines to run a 5 speed yes, the parts will bolt up. The M50d manual trans is available in the ranger and will bolt up. There are 5 speed explorers out there also, but they are more rare. the 98-2011 Ranger uses similar engine (4.0) and 5 speed transmission. So the clutch pedal parts, hydraulics, etc are all avail to you to make this bolt in. However your engines computer also controls your automatic transmission. So when you remove your auto trans you will end up with a pissed off engine computer. This requires changes, you can complete your conversion and swap over to the manual trucks computer and do some wiring to match. Then you have a OEM style 5 speed swap, it can be done and it can and has been done a thousand times, you can make it look and act 100% factory, if you know what you are doing!

The 5.0L V8 trucks never came with a 5 speed, so it gets a bit more tricky. Because it is a 302 of course there are 5 speeds from the factory that bolt up, our favorite one to use is the M5OD-R2, the mazda 5 speed found behind the 302 and 4.2V6 in F150 and Broncos. So now using the pedals and hydraulics from a Ranger or V6 5 speed explorer you can mate up a 5 speed clutch, hydraulics, and trans behind your beloved 302 engine. However now you have a computer (PCM) that is really not happy because it is expecting inputs from the now missing 4r70w auto transmission. So you will have to TUNE THE PCM to forget about the old automatic, or your 302 will not run very well. These days the computer tuning is more common and parts to do so are more readily available,. So yes you can put a 5 speed behind the 302 in a Explorer/Ranger just know what you are getting into
It has been done, is being done and will be done again.

With a Ranger based vehicle (RBV) All of these combos are possible and you had better believe somebody out there has tried it and figured out how to make it work.
Many of us consider 5 speed swaps a simple conversion, I mean the parts bolt in for the most part, but it is still a conversion and there are obstacles to overcome...you better know your RBV pretty well if you go down these paths
I have saved many a RBV from the crusher by converting them to a 5 speed manual transmission, most of them the old pushrod V6 engines, but the SOHC and V8 can be done too

Thanks!

Autotragics have their place, just not in my stable.
Our family has three vehicles and none of them are automatics.

Considering a couple different projects right now, and I’m looking at the manual trans Rangers, and 5.0 explorers.

Probably 2wd on both.

Was considering AWD on the 5.0 explorer, but since I would be running it around my local short course off road course and not changing out the transfer case, I’m not sure if the viscous coupling would live.
For budget reasons I would leave the automatic most likely, just curious about manual swap though.

My good friend here on explorer forum has a V8 mazda b4000 truck with the 4r70w trans and AWD t case, he races short course and ice in winter....seems to be working fine hes hanging with the evo's and sti's on good days
The AWd t case can take some abuse
I remember troll was pushing 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile with their AWD explorer? Or was it 11 seconds? 450+ boosted HP

My good friend here on explorer forum has a V8 mazda b4000 truck with the 4r70w trans and AWD t case, he races short course and ice in winter....seems to be working fine hes hanging with the evo's and sti's on good days
The AWd t case can take some abuse
I remember troll was pushing 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile with their AWD explorer? Or was it 11 seconds? 450+ boosted HP

Sounds good.

So the 5.0’s viscous coupling awd transfer case can take some abuse?

I am glad to hear that.

I can’t find it now-where somebody was talking about not using it for any kind of racing even short term.

We have a local “run what u brung” off road short course time trial that’s been running for a few years.

Course is a bit rough for my rallycross car, so I was thinking about picking up- basically a craigslist beater to run in it.

Six cylinders wouldn’t necessarily be out of the running(and If I went with one of those I may be able to find my preferred manual transmission)
but I would much prefer a V-8. Even if it Has to be an auto.

So I’ve been looking at 5.2 and 5.9 jeep ZJ’s and 5.0 explorers.

I like the simplicity(and sideways factor)of RWD,But since the series classing does not break down 2wd and 4wd- might as well run 4wd(or AWD)for the advantage in the loose corners, or in case it gets a little muddy, which it did very much so last year apparently.

Also then I could use the vehicle on weekends for some light to moderate wheeling perhaps.

So if I decide to go 5.0 Explorer, I would consider AWD.

Swap in a 4406 transfer case behind the 5.0 automatic, and have best of both worlds. Rwd, 4wd, and low range.

True. And if we could squeeze a five speed manual between the 4406 and the 5.0, Then all would be right in the world :)

But since this is going to be a low budget craigslist beater(at least to start with), probably none of the above is going to happen.

But for a four wheeler, for sure the 4406 is the way to go.

M5OD 5 speed from a F150 or bronco is a bolt in fit behind the 302, just requires some computer tuning to forget about the auto trans functions

I like the SBF because it opens a world of possibilites to you, 306, 327, 331, 347 all these stroked versions of the 302 can make gobs of power
the 4r70w transmission can be built to handle the power properly
The t case options are many since it is a 30 spline output 6 bolt classic ford t case pattern....BW1356, 4406, Np205.....to name a few

Starkman's B5000
I may or may not have helped to do the drivetrain conversion in this truck...okay I did the 5.0 v8 conversion for him hes a awesome guy and a good neighbor, but I had to leave Colorado too many people for our taste. This truck is straight up awesome!!

3.26.2018%20Rallycross%203-M.jpg

BW 4404 AWD transfer case "How it performs" B5000 Race Reports

98 Mazda B5000 race report

4404 AWD t case:
School Me (and you?!) On Viscous Couplings (BW4404)

Wow great links! Thanks so much for those. And ice racing and rally cross action too!

Love the 4404 info, as I don’t know much about those. They look dead simple inside. I’ve only rebuilt a few ransfer cases in my life. NP203, NP205(Including the one in my power wagon), and I think I did a couple aluminum case chain drive ones like NP229 or NP228 or something.

That 4404 looks dead simple.
I like it’s stated front/rear bias , But reading those rally cross threads it looks like you might still have to do some tuning to dial out understeer.

If I still lived in Colorado(Buena Vista /Salida In 1982)-for sure I would be seeking out ice racing venues....

Back here in the overcrowded land of my birth, SoCal....But we do have a pretty good rally cross venues....

Ran a very lightly modified 2.3 Duratec powered 2004 Focus ZX3.

SCCA prepared FWD class
CRS Rally 2wd class(open 2wd)

I ran back in 2013 and won my SCCA class championship and came in 2nd in the CRS championship.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heck yeah! Rangers can do it too!!

Back