Help with 5r55s! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with 5r55s!

Mattpass

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
hopefully I am doing this right but If not sorry in advance!
I just got done replacing the 5r55s in my 07 explorer with a remain unit. I have followed the instructions step my step and done everything it has said word for word. The instructions say pump at least 5 QTS in then start it, get it to about 80 degrees then pump the rest of the 7 or 8 QTS in but for the life of me I can not get the tranny to hold any more than 4 to 5 QTS. Torque converter was primed before hand. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

So you prefilled the Torque converter. How many qt's did you add to the converter. Also the Torque converter drives the front pump and has to be installed properly. Did you try the transmission??

The company that I got it from primes them and installs them on the tranny. I went threw all the gears with it up in the air and on the ground and it shifts fine everything’s working just the minute I pull the fill hose all of it wants to leak out. I put about 12 Qrts in last night plugged her up and drove around for about 45 min and still same thing.

When I replace my 5R, we did not put more than 9 qts. We just filled it until it dripped out of the drain plug adapter.

Back