Lift installed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift installed

Ok, so I did 31x 10.50's and front keys and rear shackles. And the ride is ok , I'm looking for shocks, and there doesn't seem to be much available. Any suggestions?

Yes, it would be nice if somebody would post up currently available(2019)proper off-road shocks, that are slightly longer -for people who are doing a torsion twist.
To get more droop and a better ride.

I know there used to be a Rancho front, 5000 series, that I find mentioned on older threads here. Shows discontinued and or out of stock everywhere I look online.

Way preferable to the Rancho, would be a Bilstein or Fox option or similar.

Fox lists smooth body 2.0’s for coil spring Rangers, but nothing for torsion bar front rangers or explorers.

Bilstein only List fronts for stock height or spindle lift, and they don’t show compressed extended length, so without calling them,I would assume that they are most likely stock length.

These two links, are for Bilstein
24-021319 part numbers-2wd Ford Explorer front.

Bilstein 4600 3" Front Lift Shocks 95-'01 Ford Explorer 2WD

Bilstein 24-021319 Front 4600 Heavy Duty (B6) Shock Absorber Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac Mercury Mountaineer - Shockwarehouse.com

Maybe if I call fox or Bilstein or Rancho they can look at their Master shock chart and find Shocks of the right length with the correct top and bottoms, although I sure prefer something specific with the correct valving for the vehicle over just the right size and stroke.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with torsion twist a stock length shock will work just fine
You are only changing the ride height at which the vehicle goes down the road.... you are not adding additional travel
hope that helps

with torsion twist a stock length shock will work just fine
You are only changing the ride height at which the vehicle goes down the road.... you are not adding additional travel
hope that helps

What you say is true. You are not adding travel.

However, when you lift and don’t change the shock length, your static suspension position is closer to topping the shock out.
And on explorers and Rangers, this can affect the ride.
Full droop is a good thing. Of course if you are 4WD then you have to consider the CVs as well.

This poster’s experience is not the only one I have seen on the subject:

Rancho RS5374 Front Shock Review

hey thanks for that! Good information in there
If you can get a shock designed for the 1.5-2" "lift" then its nice to see it has benefits over the stock length units!
I have always liked rancho shocks, they treat me well (owned by Monroe)

Funny thing about Rancho shocks.
I sold boatloads of them, back when I worked at 4 Wheel parts in the 90s.

Sold a ton of 5000,and 9000’s as well.

I always thought I would end up with a set of 9000’s on something but never did.

My old school F 100 big Block pre-runner had double Doetsch-Tech shocks in front ,and singles on the rear, and when I installed the Skyjacker 4”(more like 6” in reality)leafs on my full size Waggy, I blundered and picked the “new technology “ Rancho RSX shocks, instead of the 9000’s.

I don’t normally consider myself that picky about ride, but my jeep seem to feel every tiny little pea size pebble in the road. Annoying. Lived with it for a while, but one day I was bored, and decided to see how much of the ride was the spring rate versus the shocks.

Especially since everybody said the skyjacker Waggy kit rode so nicely.

I removed all four shocks and went for a ride.
Shockless.

Wow, Frickin 70s Cadillac ride. Comfy and plush as could be.

Those rancho RSX shocks absolutely suck!

And with their initial stiffness, you would think they would actually make the Jeep handle good. Nope.
Handled like butt.

Should’ve done the 9000’s, or even 5000. Lesson learned.

I don’t see the RSX in their catalog anymore, just the 5000 X. Perhaps it’s the same thing. I would research before buying those 5000X models.

Regular 5000 or 9000 should be good to go.

If I do up a Ranger I’m looking at the Fox 2.0 smooth bodies.
An application(coil spring only- no torsions)is listed in their catalog.

If I do up an explorer, I’ll have to do a little homework to go Fox or Bilstein.

Fox lists nothing, and Bilstein only unlifted applications.

fox is the way to go
We had a ton of issues with the silver body Bilsteins, they snapped off at the lower mount, bushing wear issues, seal leaks, not fun. I know I like throwing $$$ away..........not!
Went fox and never looked back

fox is the way to go
We had a ton of issues with the silver body Bilsteins, they snapped off at the lower mount, bushing wear issues, seal leaks, not fun. I know I like throwing $$$ away..........not!

That doesn’t sound too good!

I forget what the difference is between the silver 5100
Bilstein and the yellow b4 “HD”.

I thought just the finish?

But yes, I was leaning toward fox as well.
Plus on most apps, they are upgradable to remote reservoir and or adjustability.

And rebuildable, although the hd’s are as well.

I had considered Bilstein for my rallycross car at one point, but found published stroke lengths that were 2 inches less than a stock shock!

I called Bilstein and they confirmed, almost 2 inches less travel than a stock shock. And that was on a B4, for regular height car, not a B6 for a lowered car.

WTF?

No thanks!

I love my Ranchos with my TT and AAL. The stock length shock rode funky, hard to explain but the 5000s made for TT are great!

yeah I had similar experiences with Bilstein, the shocks they sold us for the rear of my wifes FJ cruiser were too short and the seals did not last long. They were sold for the lift we are running and were shorter stroke then the rough country units they replaced.... what a pita its like throwing money away..........

Yes, it would be nice if somebody would post up currently available(2019)proper off-road shocks, that are slightly longer -for people who are doing a torsion twist.
To get more droop and a better ride.

I know there used to be a Rancho front, 5000 series, that I find mentioned on older threads here. Shows discontinued and or out of stock everywhere I look online.

Way preferable to the Rancho, would be a Bilstein or Fox option or similar.

Fox lists smooth body 2.0’s for coil spring Rangers, but nothing for torsion bar front rangers or explorers.

Bilstein only List fronts for stock height or spindle lift, and they don’t show compressed extended length, so without calling them,I would assume that they are most likely stock length.

These two links, are for Bilstein
24-021319 part numbers-2wd Ford Explorer front.

Bilstein 4600 3" Front Lift Shocks 95-'01 Ford Explorer 2WD

Bilstein 24-021319 Front 4600 Heavy Duty (B6) Shock Absorber Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac Mercury Mountaineer - Shockwarehouse.com

Maybe if I call fox or Bilstein or Rancho they can look at their Master shock chart and find Shocks of the right length with the correct top and bottoms, although I sure prefer something specific with the correct valving for the vehicle over just the right size and stroke.
I am a welder fabricator machinist at off road shop in California and our local Kings / Fox shock Rebuilder is looking into a 2-inch body that we may be able to modify for a pin top we think we have a king 2-inch that will work for stroke and links I just need to figure out the pin top and lower shock mount on a uniball and make the lower bolt tab. we'll see how it goes

fox is the way to go
What fox did you go with, I didn't see any pin top in the on line catalog?

the fox shocks are in my wifes FJ cruiser
I run Rancho 9000's in my Bronco, Rancho 5000 in my F350 and Skyjacker black max shocks in my Excursion
Each truck is different

I would totally buy the fox shocks for all of my trucks if I could! I love what the fox shocks did to the FJ cruiser....fixed the ride, replaced crappy rough country and bilstein shocks that were nothing but headaches

Back