Best Way to Seal Cut Open Headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Way to Seal Cut Open Headlights?

I'm finally doing an HID retrofit on my 2nd Gen Explorer. I was unable to loosen the glue, (even at 300 degrees F, the glue was not budging) so I just cut the first headlight open with my Dremel. Now that I am about to order parts, I am wondering about resealing the housings after the retrofit is done.
I've watched most YT videos on the topic (most of those videos the headlights were heated open), but I can't find a thorough explanation of the best way to reseal my headlights after they've been cut open. Without clips, screws or even a ledge to hold the lenses in, the material has to not only be watertight, it needs to securely hold the headlight lenses in place so they don't fall out from the vibrations of daily driving.
Stupid question, but I appreciate any help.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Camera was a little hard to focus so close, but this may provide some reference.

Headlight Edge 2.jpg

I put my wifes FJ lights in the oven on 300 degrees for like 5 minutes, the glue let go easily after that
To seal them back up I used clear silicon

171_160958_030000000.jpg

171_160958_030000001.jpg

171_160958_030000002.jpg

It looks like you cut the flanges off, so I don't know how you are going to glue them back together and get it all lined-up.

I put my wifes FJ lights in the oven on 300 degrees for like 5 minutes, the glue let go easily after that
To seal them back up I used clear silicon

171_160958_030000000.jpg

171_160958_030000001.jpg

171_160958_030000002.jpg
I brought my headlights up to 300 degrees for 8 minutes but the glue never softened. The only thing getting soft was the plastic. I'll check out the silicone. Thanks.

Try butyl sealant, i've dealt with many f-150 retrofits and it's all i use.

Ill look into that stuff thanks for the tip!

Back