Need help with shocks for Superlift IFS ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with shocks for Superlift IFS !

huskertodd

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt
Callsign
Xplorn
Was curious what front shocks would work with the 4” superlift kit. I have the superlift superride shocks now but am wanting to upgrade those. The rear aren’t the problem, they have tons of replacements. I called superlift and have the collapsed and extended measurements, but the front shocks need that bottom rod extension for the cv clearance. I called bilstein and they only make them for stock ride height, not for the 4 inch lift. I’ve searched here quite a bit but haven’t found anything. I’m sure other guys have ran into this issue and was curious what they figured out. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody with any suggestions on a certain brand of shock that might fit or maybe relocating the lower shock mounting spot to a different spot on the lower control arm. Thanks again

Curious what shocks others with the 4” superlift are running in the front.

Pretty sure since superlift sells the lift, their shcoks have the standoffs to clear the cv axle.

for 1998 ranger with 3-4" lift which should be IFS yes?

Superlift Shock Absorber

Your choices will be limited by that standoff at the bottom.

its expensive but Fox shocks are mounted upside down compared to the superlift. so you will have the room for the CV. that's what I had on my 96 when I owned it.

Bilstiens can be run upside down as well, I run mine upside down to keep water and trash from sitting in the cylinder bushings.

a lot of performance shocks like Fox, King, Bilstein, Dirt logic, ect. should be ran with the body up and shaft down. unless otherwise specified.

Which styles can be ran upside down? Monotube? I’d like to try some Bilsteins maybe.

fox emulsion style shocks which are nitrogen charged need to be body up shaft down. so probably any nitro shock.

Rancho has extended length 5000s and 9000s. I can get you the part numbers off of mine.

yes but do the ranchos come with the lower stand off that will clear the cv axle? Can the ranchos be run upside down?

this thread is from 11/18, I wonder what he decided?
I was going to suggest looking into a coilover conversion and ditch the torsion bars LOL

Crap I didn’t even notice the original post date. Lol.
The extended length 5000s I ran in the front cleared the cv axle just fine. I don’t know about running them upside down as I didn’t try.

I ended up with the 5100 series bilsteins. The front and rear I run body up. Awesome shocks! Huge upgrade over the superlift shocks I had. The rear I ran upside down because you don’t get any dirt or debris settling on the seals like you do with body down installs. The 5100 series is for lifted vehicles and the bilstein rep said they’re fine upside down. I still can’t believe the ride difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the part numbers for the 5100s?

Back