Maxtrac 2wd front coil rate 1998-2010 -4 cyl and v6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maxtrac 2wd front coil rate 1998-2010 -4 cyl and v6

RALLYRS

Reaction score
City, State
SIMI VALLEY,CALIFORNIA
I emailed Maxtrac to Ask them their front spring rate, and the difference between the four-cylinder and the V6 2 inch lift coils.

This a copy and paste of the email they sent back to me.

Just in case anybody could use this info.

I must admit the rate was quite a bit higher than I expected, although I know the spring is mounted in board a bit, but still.

“Mike,

Thank you for E-mailing in with interest in our product. The coils that you are asking about have a rate of 1100 lbs/inch. The V6 coil and 4cyl coils both have the same rate, the V6 coil is just a little bit taller. We only offer the 2” lift spring because it does not drastically change the upper ball joint angle like 3” coils do.

I hope this helps, JJ”

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

seems a bit high? Something fishy most RBV use more like 650-800 psi spring rate for front coils, 800 in a 4 banger ranger would be quite stiff!

Pretty sure my skyjacker 4” coils are 400#, and I always thought they were too stiff!

Yeah OK, something is seriously wrong with that answer.

My first reaction was 1100 pounds? WTF?

But I don’t have a ranger or explorer yet.

I know the springs are mounted somewhat inboard on the arm, but I was thinking that seems crazy stiff, even considering motion ratio.

I know you can’t compare strut to control arm, but I couldn’t help but think about the rates on the front strut of my rally cross focus in comparison.

And the four different rates on the four different front springs I have tried on the car.

Stock ZX3 110lb/in.
SVT 129lb/in.
Dynamic. 110~160/lb/In.(Progressive)
Custom. 175lb/in.

Those are the kind of rates I’m used to dealing with.

I’ll shoot back an email to Maxtrac.

Maybe the guy looked up the wrong truck or something.

In the meantime, if anybody with a 1998 or newer 2wd ranger -either a four-cylinder or a V-6 is running Maxtrac front 2 inch lift coil’s, please post up on how happy you are with them, especially concerning the ride and handling.

And do they seem extra stiff to you?

Also if anybody can actually confirm other brands front coil rates, and/or stock rates as well, this would help.

Also, I know Fabtech has kind of a crappy reputation, but just to compare, since they came to mind-I wondered what their rate was on their coils,for the same application.

Shot them out an email this morning and they already answered me.

The kit I inquired about is a 2.5” 2wd front kit with coils and comes with upper arms and is for 4 cyl and 3.0 v6 ONLY(They list a different kit for 4.0 V6).

Response:

“Hi Mike,

That is an 840 lb spring rate

Giovanni Rodriguez,
Sales”

Since fabtech did a different kit for the 4.0, I was curious if the Spring rate for the bigger 4.0 was closer to the rate Maxtrac quoted me.

Nope! I emailed them again for that info and this was their response:

“No problem, they are actually the same spring rate except the 4.0 version is slightly longer.

Giovanni Rodriguez,
Sales”

I am still waiting for Maxtrac to get back to me on my email questioning their crazy 1100 pound rate.

maybe 550 per side?

So it is my understanding from knowledge acquired over the years that Skyjacker Ranger coils are about 600psi (soft) Superlift 6" coils are like 800 psi (hay wagon), the 5" lift coils everyone used to run in the desert trucks are around 550psi (good for whoops and jumps) I think 600-700 is the spring rate people here on EF use when they ditch t bars and add threaded body coilovers... so if a 4 door explorer rides good on 650 psi, the 1100 psi is going to be very very stiff.

I have 6" skyjacker coils in my V8 B2, it rides soooo nice.

Welp-1100 lbs per spring it is.....

Here is their answer to me questioning that rate as being insanely high:

“Mike,

That is correct. They are 1100 lbs/in. The lift of our coils is derived from a firmer rate, not from a longer coil. Longer coils are very difficult and unsafe to install. Our rate is much firmer than the factory rate, but I have never heard a complaint about them being too stiff.”

I will update here if I try these coils.
Most likely I will pass.

It's only a theoretical build on a 2wd duratec ranger at this time.

Don't need a lift for big tires as it probably wouldn't even be running anything taller than a 27.5" or 28", or maybe 30" maximum tall tire.

Production class rally, plus maybe a couple "run what you brung" amateur local short course events per year.

Can't change control arms,so was thinking about giving up a little droop travel for some bump travel and going a little higher rate on the spring.
A little weight shift to the rear for traction as well.

Will test with stock suspension first and decide from there what best course of action is.

Stock springs may be ok with a shock upgrade.

Back