Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Sometime in the summer of 1999 there was a thread giving instructions on how to adjust the door that keeps the outside air from coming into the cab through the vents. Even with the vent set to off (max a/c) I still get lots of outside air. This isn't too bad now.. but when it is 105 degrees outside the AC doesn't need to be fighting that too.

I did a search for it but I think it is one of the lost messages. If anyone knows how to adjust it or remembers anything about the post (like what I'm adjusting.. the door, where the cable connects to the lever etc) please let me know..

Thanks..

I almost forgot.. This is a 1992 Explorer XLT with AC

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies
Click Dead Link Removed to see our Explorer Specs

[This message has been edited by Maniak (edited 04-21-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mark,

I've done this before, but it's been awhile. You have to lower the glove compartment. Open the glove compartment door and pull the sides in towards another. This will allow the door to flop all the way forward.

Manipulate the A/C / Heater controls to see which rod operates which lever. Now it gets a bit fuzzy. You need to adjust the throw of the rod so that the door slams shot about 1/8 - 1/4" before the extreme left position of the levers. This ensures that the door is fully seated. There is a clip which holds the rod in place, take a good look at it before you attempt to adjust the rod. I knocked mine off and it's a real pain to get it back on, because you're working blind.

What I can't remember is exactly how the adjustment is made, once you're in there it should be self explanatory...I hope.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

How about to adjust the temparature control? on mine i cant put my switch all the way to the left ( in the blue the cold side ) it goes a bit in the blue and its enought to have cold air but it bugs me to think that i could be getting colder air if i was just able to adjust it all the way to the left . any tips on that? sorry to add questions on to yours Maniak, but i thought it was a good place and who knows might help you out with some info from a reply.
i have a 91 EB 4x4 4dr with A/C.
Later

------------------
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N drop in filter, Modified air box.
3" lift 31x10.50's
Dunlop R/V's.
Sway bar quick disconects disc.http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/91fordexplorer/index.html

Rick,
I gave it a shot today.. (We loaned the camera out for the weekend, so no pictures). The lever for Max AC/Panel/etc.. actually controls a vacuum solinoid(sp?). I removed the modulator thingy(tech term) and then checked that the hoses were in good shape. When I put it back on I pushed the modulator downward as I tighened it. It seemed to have worked. I don't feel air coming in when it is set to Max AC at 50mph. I haven't tried it on the freeway yet. If I still get air in I can elongate the holes in the modulator to make it close earlier.

A91EBexplorer4x4,
While I was in there I was trying to figure out how to adjust the temperature slider. It was actually a very easy fix (I broke it like yours was for a few minutes). All you have to do to adjust is get the cable to slide in the clip. I move it the wrong way the first time (just to see what it did) and it made the slider on get half way into the cold range. To get it to go back to the right spot I pushed on the slider (towards the cold range) and pushed the cable (the sheething part) towards the drivers side of the vehicle. Once I got it to the right spot it would go all the way across both directions. The cable is only held in by friction by a clip. Once you have the glove box pulled down you can see the cable you need to adjust above and to the left of the big box you can see.

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies
Click Dead Link Removed to see our Explorer Specs

Super old thread. But is there a way to completely stop outside air from entering the cabin during MAX AC on a second gen? It drives me crazy when I’m behind a semi or a straight pipe vehicle and the smell just fills up the cabin. I’d love to use only the inside air during MAX AC.

It’s probably a similar deal, but you really need to post this in the 2nd gen section, the hvac functions between the generations are controlled differently.

Reactions: 239

Right, sorry, just realized this is a first gen thread.

Back