• Register Today It's free!

New In Akron Ohio

George Ryerson

Reaction score
City, State
Akron, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi to all from Akron, OH. I'm George and am 72 years old, a retired engineer & pilot, and have done all my own car work of all sorts for over 50 years. Have only had a car in "the shop" twice in my adult life: once for spring work on a Ranger and once for transmission work on an Explorer (was working away from home in California: my wife, at the time, took it in).

Having said that, I also lived in Venezuela for several years and found it not at all like people in the USA are led to believe. If you know how to exchange dollars for Bolivars there the cost of living is only about a tenth of what it is here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

Do you mean the current situation in Venezuela is safe for independent travel?

Welcome to this Forum.

Welcome.

Do you mean the current situation in Venezuela is safe for independent travel?

Welcome to this Forum.

First and foremost: travel is safe provided you bear in mind that you MUST speak and understand Spanish to get by there. If you don't speak Spanish you will be seen as a Rico Norte Americano (rich north american) and as such you will be perceived as filthy rich and thus a target. When there my outfits were always well worn jeans preferably with oil/paint spots and T shirts of the same character. Never flash US dollars, in fact never have any on you of people will see you as rico...

There are some more points about Venezuela that bear mentioning ... I never had a personal safety problem when there even though I traveled extensively all across the Gulf coast which is where 90% of all Venezuelans live. I was in Caracas at all hours and even there, which was supposedly one of the most dangerous cities in the world, never even felt the least threatened.

The people that have problems there, Venezuelans as well, are well off people that wear expensive clothes and jewelry and go about with an arrogant attitude and especially expecting people there to speak English. It's true that in most countries in Europe many people speak English, and in Central America quite a few do, but NOT in Venezuela.

As far as the present time goes, as well as in the past, the situation is that conditions there are made to seem much worse than reality. My friends there that I'm still in contact with indicate that the supposed food and household supplies shortage is greatly overstated. One may go shopping and find that milk isn't available on a given day and that most all is available. Another day it could be laundry detergent is out of stock.

In the small villages, one of which I lived in on the coast about 80 miles east of Caracas, the shortages will be a bit worse but by hitting all the nearby grocery stores you can pretty much get what you need.

Another point to bear in mind is that believe it or not, we from the USA are minor celebrities there in almost all cases: Provided we're learning Spanish and trying to fit in with everyone else. As an example, near where I lived on the beach was an upscale hotel a couple hundred yards east which had a little Bodega beach store.

The people there quickly got to know me and that I lived nearby, wasn't at all rich, and was learning Spanish. We joked back and forth about my halting speech and I was always politely corrected: it was great learning and fun. One day I walked up there from the house and there was an older gentleman who also lived nearby and who started loudly complaining about my rotten Spanish. He was really upset and quite nasty.

Others nearby who all knew and liked me stopped him and let him know in no uncertain terms that I was "one of the good guys" (un buen hombre). He apologized saying he thought I was a tourist (VERY rare there) and after that he and I were the best of friends and we had beers together standing near the bodega. On several occasions after that if we met in town he'd offer me a ride back to the beach where we both lived. He had a car, and knew that I did too, but also that I had walked the 3 miles into town in order to NOT advertise that I had a car...

Sorry for being so windy here, but it's good to clear up some of the misconceptions foisted on us here in the USA. I'll be pleased to comment more and answer questions about life there if anyone has interest. Venezuela is really a great place: IF you speak Spanish...

Welcome George.

It sounds like a working middle class doesn't exist. Everybody is either broke or rich. The broke people are jealous of the rich people, and the rich people look down at the broke people. Anybody not born there is considered a stereotype which falls into the rich category unless they move there, learn the language, then go broke. This is the first time which I've heard of a country thinking like this. How do they expect to pull themselves out of this mess unless they encourage tourists to visit, spend money buying souvenirs, pay for hotels, pay to see shows, use their buses & trains, pay for boat rides, rent cars, site see, etc?

I have done a lot of traveling around the World... Vietnam, Cambodia, Peru, Columbia, Nepal, Myanmar, Thailand, Morocco, Egypt, Croatia, Albania... The basic lesson has been that people are good everywhere, and that you get respect if you treat people with respect, Most of fear of international travel seems to be caused by ignorance, and by short sighted local efforts to retain business.

Unfortunately, if people suffer for a long time and see no way out, things get tough. I have never been to visit a Country with an active civil war, or where the government might not mind if something happened to an American, or where the government has lost authority and control. Sadly, I do not think I would travel to Venezuela at this time. But I try to remember that Americans have very little tolerance for misfortune, and that if the things that are happening to the Venezuelans were happening to us, we would react far more violently and drastically.

Travel well, and thanks for the thoughts.

Back