• Register Today It's free!

Deep sleep mode

Exploder82

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport ;p
my cousins husband asked me about this today. He said he went to start his 2018 Explorer and it said deep sleep mode and wouldn’t start. Had it towed to the dealer. Anyone know anything about this? I’ve personally never heard of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is info on this on the Internet, but not in the Owner's Manual.:dunno:

Peter

This message, as far as I knew, only appeared on FordPass and other Remote Access applications. It refers to the telematics unit going to sleep to avoid draining the battery. Car should unlock and start fine using the push button/key inside the car.

my cousins husband asked me about this today. He said he went to start his 2018 Explorer and it said deep sleep mode and wouldn’t start. Had it towed to the dealer. Anyone know anything about this? I’ve personally never heard of it.
Did he try starting it manually before calling the tow truck?

Peter
I did google a little and came up with nothing. Thanks though.

This message, as far as I knew, only appeared on FordPass and other Remote Access applications. It refers to the telematics unit going to sleep to avoid draining the battery. Car should unlock and start fine using the push button/key inside the car.
said it popped up on the dash and would not start. Nothing to do with remote start. I’m aware of that one, but he said he got in and tried to start it and it popped up saying deep sleep mode and would not start. He tested the battery. Showed 12 volts.

said it popped up on the dash and would not start. Nothing to do with remote start. I’m aware of that one, but he said he got in and tried to start it and it popped up saying deep sleep mode and would not start. He tested the battery. Showed 12 volts.

Was it tested with a load on it? 12 volts doesn't mean it has the amperage needed to start it.

Also, if it did read 12 volts, it is discharged deeply.
Understanding Battery Voltages and State of Charge

Peter
Something seems amiss. Maybee we should alert the authorities.

Something seems amiss. Maybee we should alert the authorities.
We used to be able to do that when the Ford IVT Reps were on here and get some of these issues resolved.;)

Peter

We used to be able to do that when the Ford IVT Reps were on here and get some of these issues resolved.;)

Peter
I apologize for not including the sarcasm tags, but I wasn't being serious. This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, where information In an owners manual comes up short to the real world.

I apologize for not including the sarcasm tags, but I wasn't being serious. This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, where information In an owners manual comes up short to the real world.
No need for an apology. I took it as you intended. Just thought that I'd point out that at one time we were able to get some things corrected.

Peter

Our 2021 Ford Explorer is only 4 months old and it is driven daily and has gone into deep Sleep Mode ten times. No trouble yet with not starting but they have already replaced the battery and tried doing software updates. Still doing the same thing?!?!

Our 2021 Ford Explorer is only 4 months old and it is driven daily and has gone into deep Sleep Mode ten times. No trouble yet with not starting but they have already replaced the battery and tried doing software updates. Still doing the same thing?!?!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter (former Londoner)

2018 XLT with base 3.5 L V-6, new battery installed this August - It is frequently going into deep sleep mode wherein the remote door unlock is disabled. Friday evening, I put the battery on a trickle charger for about 4 hours. Wife ran errands Saturday, it wasn't driven Sunday and she drove it to work this morning (10 minutes) and now it went into deep sleep mode right after (I see it on the Ford Pass app).
Do I need to get the battery and charging system tested or is there something else I should be looking at?

To add to the confusion (mine) - when my 2018 F150 XLT goes into deep sleep/remote features may be disabled, the remote start and door lock/unlock still work whereas they do not on my wife's Explorer. Both vehicles have remote start but the Explorer has push button start (F150 does not) and the F150 has the start-stop feature (Explorer does not).

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was added to this existing one. Good luck and please keep us updated. Thank you.

Peter

I had the same problem last week on my 2021 ST. Went to the dealership and was told that it was the battery. I received a message from Ford Pass that the battery was in "deep sleep mode" to conserve power. The truck started ok but it created other issues (auto/start-stop and others).

I had the same problem last week on my 2021 ST. Went to the dealership and was told that it was the battery. I received a message from Ford Pass that the battery was in "deep sleep mode" to conserve power. The truck started ok but it created other issues (auto/start-stop and others).
The 5th gen Explorer doesn't have Auto Start/Stop feature.

Peter

Did he try starting it manually before calling the tow truck?
I am having the same problem with my 2018 Ford Explorer. Goes into deep sleep mode and then on several occasions the car is completely dead. Have to use the key to get into the car. Will not start manually. We had to jump the vehicle but on one occasion it would not even jump. Has anyone had success figuring out what is the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the same problem with my 2018 Ford Explorer. Goes into deep sleep mode and then on several occasions the car is completely dead. Have to use the key to get into the car. Will not start manually. We had to jump the vehicle but on one occasion it would not even jump. Has anyone had success figuring out what is the problem?
How long has it been sitting idle before it goes into Deep Sleep? You may have a bad/weak battery. Have you had the battery tested lately?

Peter

Back