• Register Today It's free!

Plug Gap

Mekks082

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST
I have a 2016 Explorer Limited with the 3.5 NA.

I installed some NGK Iridium LTR6IX-11 # 6509 plugs today thinking they where gaped correctly from the factory as they have always came pre gaped with other cars I have owned. After installing I decided to double check... The plugs from NGK are gaped @ .044 and the explorer calls for .052

Will this be an issue? would prefer not to pull her apart again if I can avoid it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would adjust the gap to the Ford spec. I looked them up on the NGK site and there is a note that you must adjust the gap. I am no expert just like to follow directions!

Best to remove and gap them properly. Too narrow a gap could result in the air/fuel mixture to not burn cleanly. Also, a properly gapped plug helps to remove heat from the cylinder ignition chamber.

Peter

While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for.
Gapping and Indexing | NGK Spark Plugs

While most NGK spark plugs are pre-gapped, there are instances where the gap requires modification. NGK recommends a wire-style or feeler gage gap tool, which can adjust the gap without prying against the center electrode. NGK also recommends adjusting the gap no more than +/- 0.008” from the preset gap.
5 Things You Should Know About Spark Plugs | NGK Spark Plugs

Gotcha, thanks everyone. Only have the disk style gapper so will pick up a wire one and gap them after work today, Cheers.

All spark plugs are pre gapped (or gaped, if that is preferred).

Every spark plug I have ever bought (that wasn't dropped or otherwise messed with) was pre gapped to something greater than zero gap. Whether it was pre gapped to the spec I needed was irrelevant, as one is always supposed to confirm proper plug and gap before installation.

With that said, if I put in plugs gapped at .044 and the spec was .052, I wouldn't bother pulling them and regapping them unless the vehicle had issues (mil, misfire, reduced mpg, etc...).

Pulled them today and gaped them to .051-.052

Was not going to but she was running a little rough on the way to work.

Thanks everyone.

owners manual says 3.5L spec is .049-.053" gap.

If your vehicle was running rough enough that you could feel it at .044", you may have other issues (did you scan for any stored or pending codes, or check your misfire counts?). Otherwise, my guess is placebo effect from having "re-gaped" them...

owners manual says 3.5L spec is .049-.053" gap.

If your vehicle was running rough enough that you could feel it at .044", you may have other issues (did you scan for any stored or pending codes, or check your misfire counts?). Otherwise, my guess is placebo effect from having "re-gaped" them...

might be idk, I also cleaned the TB it was pretty gunked up. Feels much smoother now though. Could just be in my head.

Back