Cooling / Heated Seat not working 2016 Exp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooling / Heated Seat not working 2016 Exp

Jesse Pomerantz

Reaction score
City, State
Vail, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Greetings,
Just picked up a 2016 Explorer Platinum with 45k miles. Sorting through the existing issues, this one comes up as a priority to get sorted out since it was a key feature for me.

The passenger seat seems to work, for sure the heat, not positive on the cooling. The Driver seat heat definitely does not work, and the cooling doesn't either.

There is a small fan on both seats, it doesn't kick on on drivers side. I can feel it working on passenger.

All connections look good.

Thanks in advance any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Jesse.:wave:
Well it's not the fuse since both seats are controlled by the same fuse. Are you able to turn up the heat to all 3 bars on the driver's side? I wonder if it could be a bad connection. Are you able to check and see if there has been a trouble code registered?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jesse.:wave:
Well it's not the fuse since both seats are controlled by the same fuse. Are you able to turn up the heat to all 3 bars on the driver's side? I wonder if it could be a bad connection. Are you able to check and see if there has been a trouble code registered?

Peter
thanks for the reply, yes all three bars up and down light up just fine, there isn't any action. i can feel the steering wheel heat up as its supposed to, and passenger side heat for sure works. trouble codes i dont see anything, is there an affordable scan tool you recommend?

There's a bad connection at the module under the passenger seat on the Ford F-150 heat and cooled seats. I had to replace the plug and clean up the module on a 2016 platinum recently, quite possibly the same issue.

Ok so here's what's up since I was last on..I got the suggested plug above and did a scan but couldn't find the module to check with this software. It had to go see the dealer for recall rear suspension repair, so I had then DX it. They said it needs the Thermo electric sensor replaced in the seat back. Anyone know how complex that job would be?

I have opened the seat backs a few time to add a Seat Guru kit to make the airflow better by getting the exhaust air out of the back and down to the floor. Opening the backs is pretty easy, I am not sure what they are talking about but everything I have seen in there look pretty straight forward to R&R. If you want take a look at How-To and Review: SeatGuru’s 2015+ F-150 Seat Fix – Road Reality also the F150 Forum thread on this to see what is going on. Cooling Seats issue and TSB feedback - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Ok so here's what's up since I was last on..I got the suggested plug above and did a scan but couldn't find the module to check with this software. It had to go see the dealer for recall rear suspension repair, so I had then DX it. They said it needs the Thermo electric sensor replaced in the seat back. Anyone know how complex that job would be?
10-4 on all that, thanks for the link, i will keep the thread posted with the next moves. heading to dealer to get the car today, will also inquire with them about the part needed, they said they would have to order it. Any other source for the TED i should look into or will that be dealer part only?

Pretty much dealer part only if it is a TEDS unit.

Pretty much dealer part only if it is a TEDS unit.
That's what the service fella said today; TEDs Unit and that it cost about $240. Correct then that I have to order it through Ford? Anyone know the part # for a google search? Thanks,

I’d really love to hear how this came full round. I’ve got issues with my 16’s front seats( they both just quit heat and air, and I’ve went through all the fuses and relays and haven’t come up with a good possible issue) and without a good schamatic or pin placement, of connector number, I’m kind of stuck.
Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Jeremy. :wave:
There are only two fuses/relays. #72 (30A) in the engine bay is for Heated & Cooled Seats. The other one listed is #5 (20A) in the cabin fuse panel is for Rear Heated Seat Module. If they are good then it could be a connection failure as you mentioned. Have you checked the connector itself? Good luck.

Peter

Has anyone figured out why the two front seats on the Ford Explorer stopped heating and cooling? I cant hear the fan going either.

Has anyone figured out why the two front seats on the Ford Explorer stopped heating and cooling? I cant hear the fan going either.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't believe that this is an issue facing all 2016 Explorers. It is more likely that there is an issue with those that have the problem.
Have you checked the fuses?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't believe that this is an issue facing all 2016 Explorers. It is more likely that there is an issue with those that have the problem.
Have you checked the fuses?

Peter
No I have not checked the fuses. also I thought to mention the back seats and steering wheel work just fine

Greetings,
Just picked up a 2016 Explorer Platinum with 45k miles. Sorting through the existing issues, this one comes up as a priority to get sorted out since it was a key feature for me.

The passenger seat seems to work, for sure the heat, not positive on the cooling. The Driver seat heat definitely does not work, and the cooling doesn't either.

There is a small fan on both seats, it doesn't kick on on drivers side. I can feel it working on passenger.

All connections look good.

Thanks in advance any insight.
This might be related, but we just experienced an odd problem. This vehicle has more computers and smart electronics that anything i've ever had before. Our Explorer has been pretty good so far. Recently I noticed I was getting warm while driving (This was July) I saw my heated seat on the driver side was on high. I tried to turn it off via the buttons on the bottom of the panel. That wouldn't work.

Next I found by touching the cooling buttons I could turn my heat off or down by pressing the cooling button. Once I had the heat off I tried turning on the cooling via the same button and it wouldn't come on. I noted the passenger side heating and cooling controls worked just fine. Every time I started the vehicle, the drivers side would come on high again and I would repeat the procedure.

I took it in for new tires and demonstrated the problem. They turned off the heat seat via the controls on the touch screen, turned the car off and on and the problem went away!

Back