Camping report -towing a 19ft Wolf Pup. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camping report -towing a 19ft Wolf Pup.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
I see lots of post about camping, I guess it's that time of the year :)
Keeping with the family tradition, last month we went on a short 8 day summer trip from lower state NY up north through Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and camped out in beautiful Maine. Few years ago when we did similar trip going west, I rented a 22ft camper locally and hauled back and forth.

nF9RAQQ.jpg

This time, we were smarter not to pull the trailer 1500 miles around with us (we came back going a little west to Vermont and entered NY in a different spot), so we found a local RV rental and got it in Maine. In the end I had to pull it less than 100 miles with us. It was a small 19ft Wolf Pup, sleeping 4-5 and since there were only 3 of us this time, it was just perfect:

e0KIA9m.jpg

The whole trip was full of small issues with the car that started the day before the departure so I had no time to address them, but that's for another post.
Overall the 19 footer was no sweat for the truck. Even the 22ft was ok, 24 would be the biggest I'd go with the v8 model and tow package. After that the Ex is just too short.
I can also say that my old Ex climbed Mt Washington, and it was an adventure of its own. Going up is relatively challenging, but going down is a different story. That was the first time I saw a smoke coming out of my brakes and wheels. Every quarter mile or so there is a pull out for cars to stop and cool the brakes, and I could see why :)

PS: At the RV rental, we passed a guy who just rented a 26 or 28 travel trailer using one of the new unibody Pathfinders. It did not look convincing and was squatting like crazy. Probably the dry weight of the camper was 4999 and the owner read that his Pathfinder can tow 5000 so there you go. I'd not put my family in that situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see you were using the Equalizer type weight distribution hitch. boy do I miss mine on the new camper. The first chance I get, I'm going back to the four point sway control of the Equalizer. The Exp tows well. it's just the extra sway control I miss.

The Equalizer was on the 22ft and it worked great.. The smaller 19 ft was plain ball and coupler only.

The Equalizer was on the 22ft and it worked great.. The smaller 19 ft was plain ball and coupler only.
I have an 07 Eddie Bauer, 4x4, V6 with factory tow package and a Starcraft AR-One 14RB trailer, 3200 pounds max weight. I usually roll at about 2,900 pounds loaded. My question is, did you feel it necessary to use a weight distributing hitch on your 19 footer? My Explorer weighs almost twice as much as my trailer so am just wondering if you felt a difference or if it was even needed? Many thanks for your response. Dano

No need for WD hitch on a smaller trailers. We had 2 Explorers, and we used the v8 and v6 model as well to tow 3500 lb trailer. Never used WD hitch and never felt like it was needed.

No need for WD hitch on a smaller trailers. We had 2 Explorers, and we used the v8 and v6 model as well to tow 3500 lb trailer. Never used WD hitch and never felt like it was needed.
Thanks for replying! Did you have any excess rear end squat or did it stay pretty level? I should be right at around 375 pounds on the tongue...

Without the WD you'll get some squat, as you can see in the pictures above. But I had lost of luggage in the car. If you put some in the back of the trailer, you'll be fine.

Back