• Register Today It's free!

2014 OEM HID Headlights

Long Haul

Reaction score
City, State
Howell, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hello All - Hoping to find some advice or help with my 2014 Ford Explorer Limited AWD. It has OEM HID Headlights, which I have no experience with. The driver side comes on for a split second when I turn on the headlights but then goes out. It will not work on high or low beam. The ballast I assume has failed and the bulb which appears to be part of it will need to be replaced. From what I have searched, the bumper cover has to come off and headlight removed to replace the bulb/ballast. Is this what needs to happen ? The dealer wants $385 just for the bulb and over $100 in labor in addition. I do not mind attempting it myself, not sure the skill level needed. I may just have to only drive during the day before I commit to over $500 to replace a bulb.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Here is what the Owner's Manual says;
"Replacing HID headlamp bulbs (if equipped)
The headlamps on your vehicle use a “high intensity discharge” source.
These lamps operate at a high voltage. When the bulb is burned out, the
bulb and starter capsule assembly must be replaced by your authorized
dealer."

I can't recall if anyone has replaced an HID bulb before. Here is what the entire housing costs; 2011-2015 Ford Headlamp Housing BB5Z-13008-V | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Here is what the Owner's Manual says;
"Replacing HID headlamp bulbs (if equipped)
The headlamps on your vehicle use a “high intensity discharge” source.
These lamps operate at a high voltage. When the bulb is burned out, the
bulb and starter capsule assembly must be replaced by your authorized
dealer."

I can't recall if anyone has replaced an HID bulb before. Here is what the entire housing costs; 2011-2015 Ford Headlamp Housing BB5Z-13008-V | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
Thank you for the information - It's a good start in the right direction. Either way the entire headlight has to come out, which means bumper cover comes off. Since they sell them separate from the housing, I am guessing just the bulb and starter capsule can be replaced. There is nothing wrong with the housing or lens. One thing is for sure - I will never buy another vehicle with HID headlights.

Thank you for the information - It's a good start in the right direction. Either way the entire headlight has to come out, which means bumper cover comes off. Since they sell them separate from the housing, I am guessing just the bulb and starter capsule can be replaced. There is nothing wrong with the housing or lens. One thing is for sure - I will never buy another vehicle with HID headlights.
The typical lifespan of an HID bulb is around 2500+ hours compared to around 300 for a regular bulb. The newer Explorers 2016+ use a combination of Halogen and LED in a 2 lamp system. The newest uses full LED headlamps.

Peter

To remove the bulb you just have to remove the dust cover on the back of the headlamp. Then turn the bulb counter clock wise. I suggest you switch the bulb from the passenger side to the driver side to see if the problem switch sides. That way you can narrow where the problem is. If the problem follows the bulb, then you have a bad bulb, if the other side lights up fine with the suspect bulb, you have a bad ballast. Remember, you must not touch the glass part of the bulb, if you do you must clean it with alcohol.

Either way I know a couple of on-line stores where you can get the bulb and ballast cheaper than the dealer.

Awesome information - because it is so tight on driver side I can not get a good view, I believe there is a retainer clip that holds the bulb in place with what looks to be a T9 torx screw on each side. I may be able to do it without removing bumper cover and headlight, I just have to try and come up with something to catch the screws so they do not fall into the headlight housing. Again it's very tight and on driver side I would almost be working blind, but at the dealer prices, I am willing to give it my all.

Awesome information - because it is so tight on driver side I can not get a good view, I believe there is a retainer clip that holds the bulb in place with what looks to be a T9 torx screw on each side. I may be able to do it without removing bumper cover and headlight, I just have to try and come up with something to catch the screws so they do not fall into the headlight housing. Again it's very tight and on driver side I would almost be working blind, but at the dealer prices, I am willing to give it my all.

As the instructions suggest, there aren´t any bolts holding the bulb, just turn it counter clock wise. You could practice or get familiar looking at the passenger side.

To remove the bulb you just have to remove the dust cover on the back of the headlamp. Then turn the bulb counter clock wise. I suggest you switch the bulb from the passenger side to the driver side to see if the problem switch sides. That way you can narrow where the problem is. If the problem follows the bulb, then you have a bad bulb, if the other side lights up fine with the suspect bulb, you have a bad ballast. Remember, you must not touch the glass part of the bulb, if you do you must clean it with alcohol.

Either way I know a couple of on-line stores where you can get the bulb and ballast cheaper than the dealer.
I will definitely follow that procedure to verify bulb vs. ballast. Since you mentioned it, any idea where the ballast is located ? I didn't see it in the general area

Start with the simple first, check the bulb as you will need to take off the bumper to remove the headlamp to access the ballast.

Attachments

• Headlamp Assembly.pdf
    467.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Ballast.pdf
    177.5 KB · Views: 271

Just wanted to update everyone here and give advise to anyone needing to replace a HID bulb in a 2014 Explorer. First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. So upon attempting replacing the driver side HID bulb, I found it impossible to do it without removing the headlight. Contrary to what the cut sheet instructions say, the are inaccurate for this application. There are two torx screws (T9) that hold the bulb in place with a retainer clip. The bulb does not twist counter clockwise or clockwise at all to remove. After the two screws are removed it just comes out straight. The other problem is, the electrical connection to the base of the bulb needs to be unplugged before being able to pull the bulb out. With that said, there is absolutely no room to accomplish this. The bumper cover has to be removed - (semi-removed) in order to remove the headlight housing. I say "semi" removed because I was able to pop one side of the bumper cover off at a time to have the room to remove the headlight housing. I did not have to lift the vehicle at all. I did put a box under the middle of the bumper in the event it fell down if both sides released. After unbolting top, bottom and sides, unplug the light connections, fog lights and sensors if you have them. I popped one side of the bumper cover only and that gave me enough room to remove the front hidden headlight housing bolt behind cover. I did both sides in under two hours. The dealer would of charged me almost $1000.00 to do both. It only cost me $160. for bulbs and under two hours of my time. Thank you All !

Too bad the workshop manual was inaccurate. It happened to me already when I replaced worn steering controls, the procedure to remove the steering wheel air bag is described as a piece of cake, it turned to be a pain in the ass, took me several hours to nail the clips.

Wow! Lots of work for something that WILL go out eventually, granted they will last much longer than Halogen bulbs .

As the instructions suggest, there aren´t any bolts holding the bulb, just turn it counter clock wise. You could practice or get familiar looking at the passenger side.
There are bolts holding the hid lamps in...explorer 75 there are no bolts holding the regular lamps in.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Just wanted to update everyone here and give advise to anyone needing to replace a HID bulb in a 2014 Explorer. First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. So upon attempting replacing the driver side HID bulb, I found it impossible to do it without removing the headlight. Contrary to what the cut sheet instructions say, the are inaccurate for this application. There are two torx screws (T9) that hold the bulb in place with a retainer clip. The bulb does not twist counter clockwise or clockwise at all to remove. After the two screws are removed it just comes out straight. The other problem is, the electrical connection to the base of the bulb needs to be unplugged before being able to pull the bulb out. With that said, there is absolutely no room to accomplish this. The bumper cover has to be removed - (semi-removed) in order to remove the headlight housing. I say "semi" removed because I was able to pop one side of the bumper cover off at a time to have the room to remove the headlight housing. I did not have to lift the vehicle at all. I did put a box under the middle of the bumper in the event it fell down if both sides released. After unbolting top, bottom and sides, unplug the light connections, fog lights and sensors if you have them. I popped one side of the bumper cover only and that gave me enough room to remove the front hidden headlight housing bolt behind cover. I did both sides in under two hours. The dealer would of charged me almost $1000.00 to do both. It only cost me $160. for bulbs and under two hours of my time. Thank you All !
Thanks for all this information. My 2013 has the Osram HID bulbs and the driver's side went out yesterday. I ordered the identical replacement bulb and then began researching the job. Yuck.......really reminds me of the project I did a couple months ago on my CTS wagon...same thing with the bumper cover. Not really that hard to do just plenty of opportunity for nicks, scrapes, and other paint damage to occur. My real concern going forward is whether it is just the bulb (as it does not work at all, high or low), or is it the ballast? I guess there is no real way to know ahead of time. Crossing fingers on this one.

Thanks for all this information. My 2013 has the Osram HID bulbs and the driver's side went out yesterday. I ordered the identical replacement bulb and then began researching the job. Yuck.......really reminds me of the project I did a couple months ago on my CTS wagon...same thing with the bumper cover. Not really that hard to do just plenty of opportunity for nicks, scrapes, and other paint damage to occur. My real concern going forward is whether it is just the bulb (as it does not work at all, high or low), or is it the ballast? I guess there is no real way to know ahead of time. Crossing fingers on this one.
You could try swapping the bulb with the known good side and see if the bulb works or not.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back