Evaluating 5R55S/W to 6R60 upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Evaluating 5R55S/W to 6R60 upgrade

FYI update for this; I was hunting for the gearing for a 6R80 trans, because someone on the Corral suggested the swap for a Fox Mustang. I found a controller for it that sounds well worked out and proven, about $1250 for it alone(harness price not checked). That is made for the 6R80, but says it can run the 6R60 and they plan to make others.

The gearing of the six speed was interesting, 4.19, 2.34, 1.55, 1.14, .86, .69:1 gears. That's the same 2nd and 4th gear of the 4R70W, with two other pairs of gears that are close on both sides of the others(1st and 3rd). Being the 6R80(and 6R60) have no bands, it's stronger in all uses, racing or towing.

Dale, did you look into any transfer cases for the six speeds? I saw the back end is just a shaft/flange to bolt to, no tail housing. The later generations seem to have an auto 4WD TC, but no AWD, and I didn't run across any adapter to use an older TC, other than an N200 or something like that.

If building one was not too much trouble, and any 2011+ trans would work, and a TC was available, that might be great if you had the inclination to do it. I could envision swapping to 3.27:1 gears to make it work better, that would still have a very low 1st gear.

Sorry Don, but I didn't research transfer cases.

I guessed that, at the time of this thread it wasn't clear if a controller was going to be available soon, and a very good one etc.

The later 6R models no longer had the internal(Mechatronic) controls, which helped reliability a lot. So it may not be inexpensive yet, but it is doable now at least.

I saw a video of a new generation Mustang running 7's in the quarter mile, with the 6R80, 180mph+ I recall. That's special.

Back