Backup Camera Guidelines No Longer Present | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Backup Camera Guidelines No Longer Present

j_mcgibney

Reaction score
City, State
East Islip
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
This morning I noticed that the guidelines for the backup camera were no longer present in my 2012 Limited. There is nothing on the screen when it is in reverse except for the raw video footage itself. I looked at the settings from the dashboard controls and it says that the guidelines should be present yet they are not. Is there anything else I can do? This has never happened before and it was working just fine as of yesterday.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know if a Master Reset or negative battery disconnect would fix that. Given that you have a 2012, it might be that the camera is beginning to fail. That has happened to many of the earlier Explorers. I'm guessing that the 'Zoom' feature is also missing?

Peter

It may have lost its programming. When I replaced my camera, it needed to be programmed for the lines to be present which I didnt bother doing since I was selling it.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know if a Master Reset or negative battery disconnect would fix that. Given that you have a 2012, it might be that the camera is beginning to fail. That has happened to many of the earlier Explorers. I'm guessing that the 'Zoom' feature is also missing?

Peter
I never even knew that there was a zoom feature to begin with. Is there some sort of factory reset option for settings?

It may have lost its programming. When I replaced my camera, it needed to be programmed for the lines to be present which I didnt bother doing since I was selling it.
I really don't want to replace the camera as that sounds like an expensive job, but the camera itself works so I thought there would be settings to mess around with to try and reset the guidelines.

Sounds like a failing camera. Mine started like that before acting weird. Check if the image is inverted, not upside down but what´s supposed to be left is right and vice-versa.

It´s not very expensive (not cheap either), I paid about $250 on an online dealer, changed it myself using a youtube video. With a laptop with a program called Forscan + ODBII bluetooth scanner. The bluetooth scanner costs about $20.

Avoid purchasing the camera on ebay or amazon, use a trusted dealer. You´d want the updated part not the one that failed or worse, the wrong part-

I never even knew that there was a zoom feature to begin with. Is there some sort of factory reset option for settings?
See this thread and the first post in particular; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-disconnecting-negative-battery-cable.427676/ I suppose you could try toggling the Active Lines setting a few times to see if that might help but if it is the camera going bad then I doubt anything would help. Attached is a picture of the camera from my previous 2011 Limited. The "Zoom" button is in the upper right corner.

Peter

P5250343a.jpg

I really don't want to replace the camera as that sounds like an expensive job, but the camera itself works so I thought there would be settings to mess around with to try and reset the guidelines.

If the camera has to be replaced, it takes about 5 minutes to do the swap, extremely easy to do yourself. It does run about $300 to do it.

But again, these cameras have to be programmed for the lines to work, it is possible that your camera lost programming and just needs to be programmed again.

Sounds like a failing camera. Mine started like that before acting weird. Check if the image is inverted, not upside down but what´s supposed to be left is right and vice-versa.

It´s not very expensive (not cheap either), I paid about $250 on an online dealer, changed it myself using a youtube video. With a laptop with a program called Forscan + ODBII bluetooth scanner. The bluetooth scanner costs about $20.

Avoid purchasing the camera on ebay or amazon, use a trusted dealer. You´d want the updated part not the one that failed or worse, the wrong part-
The image is not inverted, shows regular footage, even when I zoom in so maybe the camera is just failing at this point. $300 is not awful either should that be the case. Thank you!

See this thread and the first post in particular; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-disconnecting-negative-battery-cable.427676/ I suppose you could try toggling the Active Lines setting a few times to see if that might help but if it is the camera going bad then I doubt anything would help. Attached is a picture of the camera from my previous 2011 Limited. The "Zoom" button is in the upper right corner.

Peter

View attachment 172162
I just noticed the zoom feature this morning, guess I just never paid close attention to it this morning. I'll give the active lines a try and hopefully that works. Thank you!

Similar issue on a 2011 Edge, lines disappeared and occasionally would get a message that the camera was "unavailable." It was linked to the camera failing, requiring replacement. If you replace the camera yourself, and as mentioned previously, beware that there is an initialization/programming required, and so I had it done at the dealer. This thread is the first I'm seeing that Forscan can be used, I thought it required special programming equipment.

Similar issue on a 2011 Edge, lines disappeared and occasionally would get a message that the camera was "unavailable." It was linked to the camera failing, requiring replacement. If you replace the camera yourself, and as mentioned previously, beware that there is an initialization/programming required, and so I had it done at the dealer. This thread is the first I'm seeing that Forscan can be used, I thought it required special programming equipment.

There is only a programming if you want the lines for the camera. Replacing the camera is plug n play and the new one will work just fine.

Forscan can do most of what a dealer can do and has come a long way over the past several years.

Back