Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

Is there an official document that states the alignment must be done? I was reading over the NHTSA recall report and didn't see any mention of having to do an alignment. Perhaps, it's implied given the constituents of the repair but just curious. My explorer is there today getting this recall done and I want to have the correct knowledge when they call.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the recall notice;
Dealers will remove and replace left and right-hand rear suspension toe links with a new forged toe link and align the rear suspension. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S17.

Peter

From the recall notice;
Dealers will remove and replace left and right-hand rear suspension toe links with a new forged toe link and align the rear suspension. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19S17.

Peter
Perfect. Searched that and found the post from Ford themselves. So it's just a matter if they just do the rear or they are nice and do all four.

I’m bringing my 2013 ex in tomorrow, for the toe link recall

I had my '17 Limited in to Superior Ford in Plymouth, MN for both 19S17C and 19N05B yesterday. They replaced the rear toe links and only did the rear toe-in(no 4 wheel alignment, but it drives straight)- what do you want for free. They reprogrammed the climate control, and they replaced the lift gate drain valves(3). I never smelled any CO2 anyways, So I guess I'm good for now.

I had the toe link recall done this past Thursday at Andy Shaw Ford in Sylva, NC. They also did a four wheel alignment. I asked for & received a copy of all the work performed.

In addition, I also asked for an honest evaluation of the original equipment Hankookrap tires as I suspected that at less than 22,000 miles, there wasn't much safe life remaining. Because we spend our summer months in the mountains of North Carolina I opted for them to order 4 replacement tires.

More on this in the TIME FOR TIRES Thread

PS: The 2015 Explorer Limited I purchased used with 21,000 on the clock. Traded it in at 53,000 miles with plenty of tread remaining on the original tires. My son purchased his 2015 Limited new (still has it) & replaced the original Hankook at 75,000 miles.

Needless to say, Ford really cheaped out on the 2017's. (Perhaps the 16's as well?)

Rear Toe Link Replacement - Is my Dealer wrong?

Hello fellows,

today I had my 2013 Explorer at the dealer for the rear tow link replacement due to recall.

As far as I understood the new toe links should be forged instead of welded. I looked under my car and the new links look like the old links. The dealer said "this is what I got from Ford". But this doesn't sound very convincing to me.

Could someone please look under his car and took pictures of the new toe link? Attached tow pictures of the new rear right toe link and the part number sticker.
Part No. DB53-5A972-CE

Thank you :)

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-24 at 18.58.12.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-24 at 18.58.12(1).jpeg

I asked the same almost a month ago, but I don't believe anyone posted a pic of the "new" ones yet...

Hello fellows,

today I had my 2013 Explorer at the dealer for the rear tow link replacement due to recall.

As far as I understood the new toe links should be forged instead of welded. I looked under my car and the new links look like the old links. The dealer said "this is what I got from Ford". But this doesn't sound very convincing to me.

Could someone please look under his car and took pictures of the new toe link? Attached tow pictures of the new rear right toe link and the part number sticker.
Part No. DB53-5A972-CE

Just checked my invoice and the part number shows as DB5Z-5A972-J

Peter

Hello fellows,

Part No. DB53-5A972-CE

Could that part number be just the one end? Maybe the entire assembly is another number? That number is almost the same as the number on the same end of my new toe links (DB53-5A972-CD) which didn't show up on a parts search. But DB5Z-5A972-G does for my explorer which I think is still outdated. My invoice states the same as Peter's which is DB5Z 5A972 J. I did actually double check with the dealer that they were using the replacement toe links pertaining to the recall and they said yes, not that it means much.

I asked the same almost a month ago, but I don't believe anyone posted a pic of the "new" ones yet...
I would post a pic if I knew how but wouldn't do any good since they look the same as the new ones posted by "Querys". I'm kind of curious if mine are not the actual recall replacements.

Is there somewhere that states there is no welding?
I'll admit, I didn't dig too deep, but all I could find is that it states a new forged link is installed and it didn't specify which part of the link is forged.

EDIT: the fracture could occur inboard of the turnbuckle. I interpret that as saying the end that attaches to the wheel is not the end that was changed. It was the chassis side.

The installed parts are DB53-5A972-CE, the invoice parts are listed as DB53-5A972- J Link.

The Service Advisor assured me the car would get a 4-wheel alignment but the invoice states the rear was aligned, only.

IMG_2578.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

Unfortunately I didn't get any invoice, because it is a recall. Neither the toe adjustment protocoll. Anyway the ordered parts have a different part number, because it is a "kit". This kit includes the screws and other "single use" items as well. I was wondering about the links itself, because I do not see any change to the old links.

@ExPlat: Just saw you post. Thank you very much!

Unfortunately I didn't get any invoice, because it is a recall. Neither the toe adjustment protocoll. Anyway the ordered parts have a different part number, because it is a "kit". This kit includes the screws and other "single use" items as well. I was wondering about the links itself, because I do not see any change to the old links.

@ExPlat: Just saw you post. Thank you very much!

You should have received paperwork just like Explat. Dealership has to generate the work order in the system for Ford to be reimbursed. Paperwork DOES exist on your repair and you should receive a copy of it.

Unfortunately I didn't get any invoice, because it is a recall. Neither the toe adjustment protocoll.
Seems fishy. I always get a service invoice for every warranty and recall repair.

Yep, you should get a copy of the work done. It just won't have any prices on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are right. My wife had the paperwork.

0F3655DF-8D26-4470-90E5-DC88AB317F51.jpeg

Back