• Register Today It's free!

Automatic to manual

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
Was wondering if any of my brothers on here converted there automatic to a manual transmission was wondering what kind of cash I would be spending if I did something like that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes we have
$$$$ depends on your ability and how much wheeling and dealing you can do.
Sometimes I will buy the entire truck just to get the transmission...then use the parts I need (Like the 5 speed, pedals, computer, wiring, etc) and then recycle the rest to pay for it all. So it can be done very cheaply.....but everyone is different.

Have you tried a search?
Is your 98 a V6?

No I haven’t good sir thought I would drop in here first wanted to see if it would be cheaper todo this or replace a blown 5r55e and it’s the 4.0 sohc

It will be decent undertaking converting from automatic to manual, something i have been thinking of my self.

I might go with the NV3550/NV4500 -> NP205 route, or some other transfer case that isn't chain driven. With these; adapters are already out there for SBF and TC and not stupidly expensive.

Edit: if transmission, bellhousing, tc, etc. are bought new or rebuilt, we're looking at car value only in these parts.

So in other words just knew what I got and keep money in the bank?

Well it's really up to what you want, not everything is measured in money, if you want manual 4wd explorer, it can be done in various ways, with multiple transfer cases and transmissions. It just requires some money and if you plan going that route, usually you will find bunch of other things that require modification too.

Maybe some ECU stuff that has automatic transmission stuff in it? Pedals? etc?

Also, see what transfer case you have and if adapter can be made to it or does it already exist.

Edit: start here and google rest.

Not sure if this would work

Back