• Register Today It's free!

VSS issue.

96_Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
originaly Buckholts, Texas / Stationed at Ft. Bragg NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hey guys need some help, I did a trans swap in my 96 explorer 4x4 with a trans and transfer case swap from a 98 4x4, I know that I'm having some issues with the 5 speed acting like a 4 speed which is an issue of its own but no big deal. Question i have is is there anyway to get the 96 to read the VSS off of a 98 from the rear diff since there is no port in the transfer case to install the original VSS from the 96?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no
you need to put the 96 t case back in
Your shifting is because there is no more VSS
the VSS is required for the 96 computer

Your trucks computer has no idea you are moving, so it has no idea when to shift the auto trans
You will get a code P0500

The 98 t case has no VSS
You can use the 98 t case, but you will have to split the case and use the back half of the 96 case, this way you have a 98 t case with a 96 VSS sensor installed on
it

There is NO WAY to use the 98 computer in your truck easily.....there are LOTS of wiring changes between 96 and 98 that would require ALOT of converting

The good news is all you need to do is either use your 96 t case, or put the two t cases next to each other, split them open...use the back half of the 96 case on the "new" 98 t case to gain your VSS sensor back

I have done this many many times for the old 96-97 trucks

I've been posting in old threads trying to see if any advancement has been made in conversions for this odd generation VSS. It seems not. My 1996 XLT is finally on the road again, and it runs really well, except the VSS is worn. I had replaced the gear on the VSS itself, replaced the entire VSS, and now I'm at the point where I'm quite sure it's the drive gear inside the T-case that needs replacing. I'm worried it's going to fail completely and then I for sure won't pass inspection.

There seem to be a few conversions out there for installing modern drive trains in these rigs, but nothing to plug into the existing vss harness with some type of external or even a hall effect sensor type conversion. Any ideas?

yes lets do some searching, I know I have seen the vss mounted on a tone ring external of the driveshaft done more then once, these days the aftermarket makes it easier (mounted on the rear yoke)
If you pull your vss out and put your finger in there you will likely find the middle of the plastic drive gear is worn down
It is not that terrible of a job to drop your 96 t case and replace the drive gear though, it is alot cheaper then trying to mock up an external setup
91-94 had VSS in the tailhousing with a cable driving the dash speedo, 95-97 still had the vss in the tailhousing with the plastic drive gears no more cable, and in 98 they did away with it all together and used the rear axle sensor for both 4WABS and the pcm/dash speedo

Dakota digital makes some neat stuff these days also, might be able to snag your rear axle speed sensor signal and convert it to talk to your 96 PCM and dash speedometer for under $100

Universal Speedometer Signal Interface

Well I did hit up eBay. Got a new drive and driven gear. Hope the drive gear was 7 tooth 'cause that's all I found. I can play with driven gears after the fact I guess. I got the black 19 tooth gear, but there's a guy selling a set of 5 16-20 tooth for about $12.

Oh and you're correct about the part of the tailshaft vss housing, except 1997 had a tone ring and hall effect sensor in that location.

97 is still a plastic drive gear/gear driven VSS as far as I know??????????????
just no more cable....

Dakota digital makes some neat stuff these days also, might be able to snag your rear axle speed sensor signal and convert it to talk to your 96 PCM and dash speedometer for under $100

Thanks @410Fortune ,

Have to keep that handy.

Been using Phoenix Contact equipment in the field for years but sometimes we need different options to work with.

97 is still a plastic drive gear/gear driven VSS as far as I know??????????????
just no more cable....
I think I read 97.5? There was a year or half a year that they had the modern hall effect sensor in the t-case. Then just used the rear abs sensor. I don't know why they didn't do that as soon as the cable was ditched. We all had abs sensors in 3 places!

Does any one have pics of the drive gear installation? Or just the output shaft cover off and a pic of the gear? Were they all, in fact, 7 tooth? Any advice for this job? Any parts I may need? Is there a seal, or gasket needed when putting it all back together?

Thanks, for helping getting this ball rolling again!

I have never seen this half year sensor you speak of, very interesting

Yes it is a 7 tooth, white or yellowish plastic? Only the old Np205 were like 9 tooth and some were made of metal!!! good luck getting your hands on those parts
I do not have a pic but I can tell you its pretty easy to drop the t case and split the cases, swap out the gear....put it all back together.
The 1354 comes apart rather easily on the bench
some people may have also done this repair IN THE TRUCK, no way no how, I would take whole t case out before I split the cases, way too difficult to put it back together correctly while hanging on the transmission

I got the gear on ebay. I thought the 1996 was a BW-4405? And yes, with further research, it seems that 96-97 were gear drive, 98 was abs sensor style. I know there is a transfer case mounted one tho. 1AAuto on youtube has a vss replacement for a ranger off the t-case that is that style of sensor.

I can't find an explorer. They did use those sensors for speedo earlier tho. Here's a 2wd F150 mounted on the trans.

Have you looked at Dakota Digital? They have several speedo fixes.
As I have both new gears, I'm going to stick with the stock set up. If it fails again, I may have to go that alternate route. I do plan on checking them out no matter what.

I have never seen the mystery half year hall effect sensor style on a explorer, but I usually only work on 4x4's maybe it was a 2wd thing? 96-7 same, 98 in rear diff...
weird!

Let us know how replacing the drive gear goes....its not terrible. You will get a good look inside your t case if it is a control trac t case have a good look at the nylon guides make sure they are not worn down or starting to come apart

I was thinking of getting an overhaul kit for it while I'm in there!

Back