Issues at initial delivery

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Here's what I've found on mine so far.
1) passenger side, rear door exterior b-pillar (black shiny trim) bowed out (as mentioned in my other thread) and rubber window trim torn. May or may not be related to a rear passenger side broken window that was replaced before the dealer took possession.

2) Raised bleb in the hatch sheet metal. Appears to have been there before paint. Doesn't really bother me since it is hardly noticeable and the paint job does not appear affected (picture pending). IMHO a fix would be worse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's what I've found on mine so far.
1) passenger side, rear door exterior b-pillar (black shiny trim) bowed out (as mentioned in my other thread) and rubber window trim torn. May or may not be related to a rear passenger side broken window that was replaced before the dealer took possession.

2) Raised bleb in the hatch sheet metal. Appears to have been there before paint. Doesn't really bother me since it is hardly noticeable and the paint job does not appear affected (picture pending). IMHO a fix would be worse.

I took delivery of an Agate Black ST on 7/3 and mostly have cosmetic issues. However, a couple weeks in the lane centering feature of the adaptive cruise control stop working. Here’s what I tallied so far:

1) Dirt particles in paint. I’ve counted about 8 so far. They are hard to see but... Should there be that many?
2) Wavy paint on the tailgate. There is a line of excess paint across the lower part of the tailgate where it tucks under, about 2” before the edge. Plus, it looks like someone sanded a two inch radius blemish off the bottom edge and they just painted over all of it. Admittedly, all of this is hard to see as it is on the lower edge. This is a little disappointing, but I prefer not to have the dealer re-paint it.
3) If you look at an extreme angle at the driver and passenger side front doors, there are two 6” or 8” vertical indentations (about a coupe of feet apart). Since they are on both doors, I assume this was caused by part of the manufacturing process (either some form of adhesive underneath is pulling on the door skin or perhaps from a tool that carried the doors to the assembly line). Interestingly, this is barely visible. I did not see it until a body shop guy pointed it out to me. He said a PDR guy may be able to remove them. This is so hard to see, again, I’d prefer to live with it than cause further damage.
4) Finish scratches on the hood. There were multiple vertical lines in the clear coat from front to back on the hood. One was deep enough that I took it to a body shop to wet sand. The others look like it came from an automatic car wash; these are minimal and I preferred not to polish the hood too aggressively. I figure I’ll end up waxing most of this away over time anyway.
5) An interior wall by the 3rd row seats has what appears to be a 2” by 2” upside down letter “U” embossed in grey on the black surface. It looks like during assembly this section of wall was pushed on causing this defect to appear; I’m curious what piece of equipment is under the wall? The dealer said they will replace it, if I want. However, the section is so large, I’m wondering if it is better to leave it than have so much of the interior torn out?
6) Interior D pillar was not attached correctly. Dealer fixed this easily. One problem down!
7) Several of the grey plastic wheel arches and lower body mouldings have fine (and a couple of rough) scratches in them. I originally wanted them replaced, but again, will more damage be done removing and replacing them? I’ll likely leave them as is as they can only be seen while viewed from a couple of inches away.

Overall, I still enjoy the truck and think it looks great. I guess this is part of being among the first to have a new Explorer. Hopefully, Ford will help the dealer solve the Lane Centering issue and future software updates will keep things running smoothly.

This past weekend @Sgt1411 and I went to our local Ford dealership and they had several 2020's 2 XLT, 2 ST and a limited.... Nice, NICE improvements for sure and glad to see Ford listening to customers and adjusting to the market, but we noted several QC issues on almost every unit we looked at. Sad that it's was easy for us to note the issues, loose trim on window seals (rear doors), Interior A pillar trim, etc. It was nice having them mixed in with the 19's in stock to see the evolution, but the price increase certainly makes you pause with plenty of good competition in the market. I have owned 5 Fords in my past... 1 original Escape, 1 body on frame Explorer, 2 current gen Explorers and a Focus wagon. But for a similarly equipped/trim level Explorer, Ford may have priced them out of my near future shopping list. We can afford one, but do we need to ....? TBD

Found a few minor issues, and one big issue, after one week with my ST.

Minor issues;
Center roof console sunglass holder wont latch properly
Missing bolt cover near accelerator peddle (took one off another 2020 on the lot) - resolved
Black wheel well trim on drivers rear is not staying put, wants to pop out and become unclipped in a few places.

Bigger issue;
A/C compressor fails to engage and maintain cool air under the following conditions. Drove the vehicle several hours earlier, parked in the sun, 98 deg F out, start the car and idle for 30-sec to 1 min in the driveway. The A/C compressor clutch will disengage and wont re-engage even after driving down the road at speed. This was repeatable two days in a row so I dropped it off a the dealer last night and gave them very detailed instructions on how to repeat. It seems to me the High Side pressure sensor is tripping, but Ill let them figure out whats going on. No other issues and the A/C did work great otherwise.

While its at the dealer they are going to fix the sunglass holder and wheel well trim. Stuck in an F150 rental for a few days :(

Found a few minor issues, and one big issue, after one week with my ST.

Minor issues;
Center roof console sunglass holder wont latch properly
Black wheel well trim on drivers rear is not staying put, wants to pop out and become unclipped in a few places.

I hand washed my ST for the first time yesterday and also noticed that the drivers rear wheel well trim wants to pop out. I also noticed that the sunglasses holder was difficult to open, but I don't use it, so I don't care.

I think my rain sensing wipers aren't working either, but I'm going to do some better testing before I declare for sure.

I see 2 trends in the 2 posts above, hopefully these will be easy fixes and Ford gets their QC team on top of this stuff! There are always issues with new vehicle production with any automaker and hope they resolve quickly!

. . .
I think my rain sensing wipers aren't working either, but I'm going to do some better testing before I declare for sure.

Mine appear to be working since I drove through a summer downpour in the first week I had it. Got to play with the sensitivity etc.

One quick thing to consider: there are 4 positions for the wiper control stalk; the bottom one is “off”. The next one up is the rain-sensing standby position. If it’s at “off”, the wipers won’t come on regardless. And it does not appear to reset itself when the ignition is turned off (unlike the automatic headlight control). The “off” position is not made clear in the manual.

Mine appear to be working since I drove through a summer downpour in the first week I had it. Got to play with the sensitivity etc.

One quick thing to consider: there are 4 positions for the wiper control stalk; the bottom one is “off”. The next one up is the rain-sensing standby position. If it’s at “off”, the wipers won’t come on regardless. And it does not appear to reset itself when the ignition is turned off (unlike the automatic headlight control). The “off” position is not made clear in the manual.

Thanks for the tips. Sadly, it was not user error on my part, so I have an appointment for it early next week.

Also, today, for the second time since I got it, I've had the reverse autonomous braking go off with a false positive. Not really a problem since I was in tight quarters, but it is quite jarring when it happens. The brakes are applied so quickly that I thought I hit something both times.

The dealer was able to duplicate my A/C issue, found it was just low on refrigerant. They said a clip was bent on the wheel molding and it should be good now. The sunglass compartment is on order, so we will see if the replacement part is any better when it comes in.

Thanks for the tips. Sadly, it was not user error on my part, so I have an appointment for it early next week.

Also, today, for the second time since I got it, I've had the reverse autonomous braking go off with a false positive. Not really a problem since I was in tight quarters, but it is quite jarring when it happens. The brakes are applied so quickly that I thought I hit something both times.

I wish we could turn off that auto braking off somehow. I don't want to be wear off my brake pads by it slamming on the brakes like that.

I wish we could turn off that auto breaking off somehow. I don't want to be wear off my brake pads by it slamming on the brakes like that.
Per manual: “SWITCHING REVERSE BRAKING ASSIST ON AND OFF You can switch the system on or off through the touchscreen. See Settings/Driver Assist (page 457).”

Per manual: “SWITCHING REVERSE BRAKING ASSIST ON AND OFF You can switch the system on or off through the touchscreen. See Settings/Driver Assist (page 457).”

Nice to know. 1 issue less to solve i guess.

I took delivery of an Agate Black ST on 7/3 and mostly have cosmetic issues. However, a couple weeks in the lane centering feature of the adaptive cruise control stop working. Here’s what I tallied so far:

1) Dirt particles in paint. I’ve counted about 8 so far. They are hard to see but... Should there be that many?
2) Wavy paint on the tailgate. There is a line of excess paint across the lower part of the tailgate where it tucks under, about 2” before the edge. Plus, it looks like someone sanded a two inch radius blemish off the bottom edge and they just painted over all of it. Admittedly, all of this is hard to see as it is on the lower edge. This is a little disappointing, but I prefer not to have the dealer re-paint it.
3) If you look at an extreme angle at the driver and passenger side front doors, there are two 6” or 8” vertical indentations (about a coupe of feet apart). Since they are on both doors, I assume this was caused by part of the manufacturing process (either some form of adhesive underneath is pulling on the door skin or perhaps from a tool that carried the doors to the assembly line). Interestingly, this is barely visible. I did not see it until a body shop guy pointed it out to me. He said a PDR guy may be able to remove them. This is so hard to see, again, I’d prefer to live with it than cause further damage.
4) Finish scratches on the hood. There were multiple vertical lines in the clear coat from front to back on the hood. One was deep enough that I took it to a body shop to wet sand. The others look like it came from an automatic car wash; these are minimal and I preferred not to polish the hood too aggressively. I figure I’ll end up waxing most of this away over time anyway.
5) An interior wall by the 3rd row seats has what appears to be a 2” by 2” upside down letter “U” embossed in grey on the black surface. It looks like during assembly this section of wall was pushed on causing this defect to appear; I’m curious what piece of equipment is under the wall? The dealer said they will replace it, if I want. However, the section is so large, I’m wondering if it is better to leave it than have so much of the interior torn out?
6) Interior D pillar was not attached correctly. Dealer fixed this easily. One problem down!
7) Several of the grey plastic wheel arches and lower body mouldings have fine (and a couple of rough) scratches in them. I originally wanted them replaced, but again, will more damage be done removing and replacing them? I’ll likely leave them as is as they can only be seen while viewed from a couple of inches away.

Overall, I still enjoy the truck and think it looks great. I guess this is part of being among the first to have a new Explorer. Hopefully, Ford will help the dealer solve the Lane Centering issue and future software updates will keep things running smoothly.

I would love to see your inspection checklist! :)

My A/C woes continue;

So far I’ve had my Explorer for one week and the dealer had I’d for one, back off to the dealer in the morning :(

That's some pretty warm air.. Roll down those windows and open the moonroof.

The A/C compressor fails to engage once the outside temp is above about 95deg F, does not matter if your driving down the road or stopped at idle. I was in town today, just up the road from the dealer when it stopped working again. Drove it to them to show them what it was doing, but the service was closed today. Anyway, got to show the issue to the floor manager who will send a note to the service manager (hopefully).

I will mention how when I got it back last time, I found Doritos chip fragments in my truck and it wasn't from me. I hate it when the service department says "hey, lets go to lunch and test drive the ST at the same time!". Not cool, literally.

I will mention how when I got it back last time, I found Doritos chip fragments in my truck and it wasn't from me. I hate it when the service department says "hey, lets go to lunch and test drive the ST at the same time!". Not cool, literally.
I will mention how when I got it back last time, I found Doritos chip fragments in my truck and it wasn't from me. I hate it when the service department says "hey, lets go to lunch and test drive the ST at the same time!".

I got a service writer fired for that one time. No excuse. Period.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer tech cant figure out whats going on my my A/C yet. Its not the refrigerant charge, at least they are being honest when they say they don't know whats going on yet. They started a case with Ford and have some electronics to check. To be continued...

Back