I was wondering how hard it would be to convert power windows to manual? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I was wondering how hard it would be to convert power windows to manual?

rickyd123

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer. I keep having power window issues. It gets really hot and really cold here, so the windows stuck down or up is a problem and working on them all the time sucks. I can't tell if power windows was an option on my vehicle or standard. I also can't find a conversion kit. I've looked at wrecking yards for vehicles like mine with manual windows but haven't had any luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I googled some stuff. It looks like the doors off of a 1991 Ford Explorer will interchange with my 1994. Why couldn't I just find a 1991 with manual windows and take the mechanical stuff out and put it in mine?

You can do that. Good luck finding Explorers with manual windows though. It seems to be pretty rare.

I rebuilt both the motors on mine like this but I didnt have ball bearings around and used a 1/4" nut and havent had any issues. And I beat the crap out of my ploder.

vehicles like mine with manual windows but haven't had any luck.
1st gen ones are Unicorn items......

By amount of total time, I have spent more time on my weak driver's power window than any other single issue. They got part of the way up or down and then just slowed to a stop. Doing the ball bearing thing in the motor helped for a while but didn't fix it. Then I went with a brand new motor assembly, helped for a while but didn't fix it. Cleaning and lubing the tracks and mechanism helped for a while but didn't fix it. Replacing the outer window seal helped, but didn't fix it.

It didn't happen so badly when it was wet, like dew or rain.

I used a voltmeter to try and figure out if there was a bad connection reducing power to the motor. I found a significant voltage drop before and after the one-touch module in the door frame. Going deeper, there is a small physical relay in the one-touch module that I suspect was dying... so I got rid of the entire module and hard-wired to replace it. I lost the one-touch function, but that was an easy sacrifice to get my windows working consistently.

Even then, the window acted like it was on the verge of doing the same thing. My Explorer is now a retired backup vehicle, so I didn't go any further with it. If I were to go further, I would probably bite the bullet and replace the tracks, the entire works for new parts. And even then, it almost seemed like there was something restricting power further up the wiring, which would be the switch assembly in the door. There was another related oddity: For the many years I owned the truck, if I were driving with cruise control and rolled the driver's window up or down, it temporarily shut off the cruise control, just for the moment I was rolling the window. When I stopped rolling, the cruise control automatically picked up where it left off. I never found a common wire or connection for these systems, it was just a spook I never fixed.

I never found root cause, so this is not so much an answer as... I feel your pain!

All that said, it looks like Dorman makes manual window regulator assemblies and hand cranks. I found both for both sides on Orielly's website.

It could be worse. We also own a 2013 Chevy Cruze, and if those windows hang up on ice, a plastic part breaks and the window is useless until it is fixed.

rickeyd123 it is probably the metal scissor mechanism that is worn. WARNING!!!! This part has a VERY strong clockspring and if handled without the motor on can do SERIOUS INJURY. I believe someone on here had their thumb cut off! If you replace this I recommend buying one with a motor installed and replace both as a unit. Mine was locking the window down and removing and replacing the motor was the only way to unlock it.

Roadrunner777 it sounds like the rubber in the window track has lost/worn out the flocking (velvet like fibers) where the window rubs, dramatically increasing the friction.

You can use the manual crank window bits from any 91-2001 Explorer.
Good luck! In the last 20+ years of working on these trucks and having at least a hundred of them come through my shop I have seen 2 with manual doors.
One of them was a 95 truck base package, I kept those 95 doors around until two years ago when I had to crush them because we sold our house.
The other truck belonged to a customer of mine

Finding manual window crank mechanisms for a 4 door explorer is going to be very difficult, Just fix what you have

Back