• Register Today It's free!

A/C compressor ???

Arne52101

Reaction score
City, State
Decorah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie bauer 06 4.0l
We lost our A/C yesterday, after 13 years my guess is the compressor died. I'm about to order a new
compressor. What else should we replace while we are at it. This is the first A/C problem since it was
new.

2006 Explorer EB 4.0L with rear A/C / heat. Now at 180,000. miles.

Before you replace the ac compressor check to see if it is turning on and spinning then check your ac lines going to the rear ac unit. they are located on the passenger side of the car between the rocker panel and the frame you may even be able to see an oil spot on the frame they tend to rub together and make a hole. I had the rear ac line rub a hole. usually the ac dryer/ accumulator would be replaced when any time you open the ac system but not everybody does that.

Hello Rcflyer330,
As it turns out the compressor is OK and can be turned. The clutch is totaled. All ac lines are good, Electric is good. With 180,000. miles on it I'm still thinking to just get new compressor with clutch, will also replace ac dryer/ accumulator as you suggested.
Looking at the DENSO 4716050 from rockauto. The engine is in excellent condition and has no timing chain issues of any kind.

The compressor turns but how do you know that the clutch is trashed?

Back