• Register Today It's free!

2019 Limited cooled front seats

ddaniel13

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited
I've never owned anything with heated or cooled seats.
Dealer didnt really explain it other than the switch use,
How do these actually cool? the push button will light up 3 blue bars for maximum cool.
I feel a somewhat cooling feeling in the butt area, I think its just the perforated leather area. Dont feel anything in the back rest. Is there a tiny air dust running thru the seat? I dont see this as anything to get excited about.

appreciate your thoughts

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's fans under the seat that send the cooled air up through the seat perforations. Mine get very cold, except the back. Some people say the back is supposed to cool, other say it's not. I mentioned it to my dealer and they commented that yes the back is very poorly cooled and it's a known issue. If it's really hot out, I notice it's more difficult to cool. Usually once my body is cooled down, I can really feel the coolness of the seats. Love them.

I am not sure if they are the same as on my 2017 or if they changed them like on the F150's to just ventilated. If they are the same there are two TED's units, one for the bottom and one for the back. A TEDs unit is a thermal electric device similar to the electric coolers. Plug it in one way for cool and the other way for heat. They then blow air across it into the bottom and back of the seat which come out the front on your tush and your back. There design changed a little when they made the seats a little thinner. If it is just a ventilated seat like the new F150's have there is no active cooling. It draws air in from the front of the seat and pushes it down and out under the back of the seats. Easy way to tell is hold a piece of tissue paper in front of the seat and see which way it goes. Out is actively cooled in is not.

Mine work decent, but the back get hot... probably the heat extracted transfer there...
But would to be curious to have a little more explanation on how it works!

The seatback should not get hot. Mine doesn't and I haven't read of any others that do. It may be slightly warm due to the transfer of your body's warmth to the seat, but that's all. There is no heat extraction process that I'm aware of or read about.

Peter

Just looked at my AC seats last night. Definitely works on the butt area. I think I can feel cold air in the back area. I can hear it working in the back area.

This is crazy for sure. I called 3 dealers today, none of them new anything about the system. I Know there are 2 fan blowers in each seat, 1 in the bottom and 1 in the back, I can hear them run. When I got to work about 4 am I checked the backside, it was most surely warm in the area of the map pocket opening. Coming home from work just now it did cool some, not terribly bad. It didnt work worth a crap at my lunch break today at about 92 degrees outside. The owners manual states the engine must be on for this to work,
I dont think this is just blowing ambient air. The picture below is the blower in the seat bottoms, and the other picture is taken from back side underneath. not sure what this mesh is. Appreciate the feedback

Thanks
Dave

blower.jpg
seat.jpg

Interesting note, on the blower housing, the front snout opening, rectangular shape infront of the label contains brass or copper looking fins or fingers or something. You can see them from the front . I wonder if this is a heating element of some type thats warms air drawn over it. I'd like to see more pictures of the entire system. Tasca Parts has good exploded views of the parts.

Dave

This is a known Ford (bad) design issue. The problem is that the seat cooling uses a TED which would be cold and hot air at the same time, one side to the sitting area and the other to the opposite side (depending on the setting, cooling or warming). The problem with the seat back, when cooling, is that the hot air is exhausted into the seat back cavity, which after some time will be become too hot that the cooling effect becomes ineffective.

This thread on the 2015-2017 F-150 forums discusses the issue extensively and a kit was developed by a member to enhance the cooling by ducting the exhaust to the bottom. If i recall correctly, the 2016-2019 Explorer uses the same seat back TED and hence the kit also works.

The seatback should not get hot. Mine doesn't and I haven't read of any others that do. It may be slightly warm due to the transfer of your body's warmth to the seat, but that's all. There is no heat extraction process that I'm aware of or read about.

Peter
Well, by hot I don't mean cooking an egg, but warmer then ambiant and warm enough that after a long ride, I turn it off.

This is a known Ford (bad) design issue. The problem is that the seat cooling uses a TED which would be cold and hot air at the same time, one side to the sitting area and the other to the opposite side (depending on the setting, cooling or warming). The problem with the seat back, when cooling, is that the hot air is exhausted into the seat back cavity, which after some time will be become too hot that the cooling effect becomes ineffective.

This thread on the 2015-2017 F-150 forums discusses the issue extensively and a kit was developed by a member to enhance the cooling by ducting the exhaust to the bottom. If i recall correctly, the 2016-2019 Explorer uses the same seat back TED and hence the kit also works.
surely I'll be looking into that!
Thanks

Back