Explorer Shudders when in park , running and a door closes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Shudders when in park , running and a door closes

Scottysgirl

Reaction score
City, State
Burney, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Exp Limited
I have searched the form and see things for shuddering while driving (not the issue I am having) So if I am placing in the wrong place I am very sorry! I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited. While the car is running and placed in park, if someone gets out and closes the door the whole car shudders. It will also do this when I place the car in park and shut it off...it shudders the whole car as well (that's a new one). It will also shudder while in drive but my foot is on the break and someone closes a door. Sometimes it just does it while idling. Most of the shuddering seems to center around the park position, foot on brake and closing of doors while in the park position and running. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and might have a solution or recommendation for me. Please help if you can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing you are talking about engine shutter and not the actual body. Is that right? I don't recall anyone else posting a similar issue. No issues when driving or going over bumps etc?

Peter

Motor mounts, trans mounts. There are three total.
Might be worth have checked out.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing you are talking about engine shutter and not the actual body. Is that right? I don't recall anyone else posting a similar issue. No issues when driving or going over bumps etc?

Peter
No, it's the actual car. The whole body and wheel.None when driving. Sometime when I first drive it in the morning it feels kinda shaky but it's in the exact spot every morning and doesnt do it again until the next morning. I'm assuming that's the road.

Unless the engine is shaking the entire car?

New tires can have flat spots that vibrate moderately when first driven.... for couple miles
Could be suspension issues, misfiring, etc. I am just guessing, sorry. Trying to help......

Have a dealer or independent shop check it out, my recommendation.

Weird issue.
14 Explorer NA 44k miles
Lately, usually when I drop people off, I have my foot on the brake while the car is in drive, when the door closes, the car vibrates a little and makes a grinding noise until I take my foot off the brake and push the brake again.
Anyone have any ideas?
No codes, no voltage issues

That's an odd one unless the vehicle crept forward slightly. The only thing that comes to mind is your brakes might just be slipping against rough rotors.

I'd take the wheels off and examine them. Have you had the brakes done recently? If the front have never been done (or you drive it like you stole it :D ), they may be due for replacement.

That's an odd one unless the vehicle crept forward slightly. The only thing that comes to mind is your brakes might just be slipping against rough rotors.

I'd take the wheels off and examine them. Have you had the brakes done recently? If the front have never been done (or you drive it like you stole it :D ), they may be due for replacement.
I had my mechanic put on drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brakes from PowerStop about 7months ago and the tires get rotated every 5k miles with synthetic oil. I feel like the brakes are a step better than the stock but I'll have my mechanic look next time. The car doesn't move when this happens, just makes that noise.
Thanks!

You rotate your tires with synthetic oil?:D Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Peter

First thing that came mind was that the brakes slipped just a little bit but since that's not the case then maybe a caliper is bad and pulsating a little?

You rotate your tires with synthetic oil?:D Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Peter
With synthetic blinker fluid, you haven’t heard?

I have searched the form and see things for shuddering while driving (not the issue I am having) So if I am placing in the wrong place I am very sorry! I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited. While the car is running and placed in park, if someone gets out and closes the door the whole car shudders. It will also do this when I place the car in park and shut it off...it shudders the whole car as well (that's a new one). It will also shudder while in drive but my foot is on the break and someone closes a door. Sometimes it just does it while idling. Most of the shuddering seems to center around the park position, foot on brake and closing of doors while in the park position and running. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and might have a solution or recommendation for me. Please help if you can.

I have this exact same issue. Did you ever get to a root cause? It was happening primarily with the passenger front door, but now I can replicate it with the driver side front as well. I can't get it to happen 100% of the time, but I am hoping to reproduce it for a service tech sometime soon.

I have this exact same issue. Did you ever get to a root cause? It was happening primarily with the passenger front door, but now I can replicate it with the driver side front as well. I can't get it to happen 100% of the time, but I am hoping to reproduce it for a service tech sometime soon.
Hopefully the member is still following the thread. Last activity was Aug. 1, 2019.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever get this problem fixed, I'm in the same boat and the dealership seems clueless

Back