Recall 19S17 and front alignment q's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recall 19S17 and front alignment q's

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
Just had my 17 Base get the suspension recall (19S17). Dropped it off at my local dealer, noted mileage and exterior condition with pics. They only had it a few hours, but had a few questions.

1) it picked up 3-4 new scratches that were not there before - I spent yesterday afternoon washing, claying, and waxing it, so it was pretty obvious. It also seems to have been driven through some mud - lower door trims, and rear hatch especially lots, had flecks of mud on them.Something I should bring up to them? Or just leave it and hand buff it out myself?
I'm fairly peeved from spending hours on it, but just wondering what is realistic.

2) The odometer has 10km added to it, but this is not stated anywhere in the paperwork I received. In fact, mileage in and mileage out are exactly the same. From I where parked it at drop off to where it was parked on pick up and to shop could not have been more than 100 feet.
Is a test drive normal after alignment (first one for me, so not sure)? If so, 10km seem normal?

3) After noticing the difference in mileage, I went back in and asked the service advisor for a new copy with the updated mileage. She brushed me off and said it was standard policy after any work was done at this dealer for a test drive to happen and not to worry.
This seems way off, especially considering how exact they would be when it comes to warranty repairs. Normal?

4) I had a front alignment done (paid $45 for the privilege) in addition to the rear alignment in the recall. The printout shows some decent modifications but at the bottom states - "one or more values are not within specification" etc.
Yet, the service advisor I spoke to said they were indeed within spec.
Does anyone have access to the specs so I can compare or are they already on the sheet? I have attached a picture of the printout.

Just trying to suss out what my next course of action should be. I've waited for this recall for about a couple of weeks now and we're about to go on a cross country trip for 3 weeks (which will add about 8k km to the odometer in total) and I'd like to have as much sorted as possible.

Thanks for reading!

15644434465573356537490025685271.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

10km / 6ish miles is not something I'd lose sleep over, honestly. It's possible that there might have been two test drives and the technician didn't like something in the drive, adjusted alignment again, and then test drove again.

As far as your alignment specs, I'd go by Ford spec, not what Generic Alignment-o-Meter has printed on the page. They could have done a better alignment for sure, though.

Rhino had scratches occur after service as well.... I did bring it up and brushed off. Was younger and didnt pursue. Now that I am older, I would start off in a help me out manor and progressively change my tone. As they say, get more bees with honey.....

Sorry about.your experience.

10km / 6ish miles is not something I'd lose sleep over, honestly. It's possible that there might have been two test drives and the technician didn't like something in the drive, adjusted alignment again, and then test drove again.

As far as your alignment specs, I'd go by Ford spec, not what Generic Alignment-o-Meter has printed on the page. They could have done a better alignment for sure, though.

What's off with the alignment? Is the ideal alignment in the corners?

Rhino had scratches occur after service as well.... I did bring it up and brushed off. Was younger and didnt pursue. Now that I am older, I would start off in a help me out manor and progressively change my tone. As they say, get more bees with honey.....

Sorry about.your experience.

Thanks, it happens, I was more peeved earlier. Didn't go 24 hours looking nice, but I can probably buff it out by hand myself for now and before winter get it buffed professionally. Nothing serious, so I'll live.

At my dealer, they always do a test drive after an alignment or wheel swap. The paperwork for the toe link repair shows a difference of 8 km or 5 miles between the In and Out mileage on the invoice.

Peter

At my dealer, they always do a test drive after an alignment or wheel swap. The paperwork for the toe link repair shows a difference of 8 km or 5 miles between the In and Out mileage on the invoice.

Peter
I guess laziness is the reason here for not noting the updated mileage. Bit of a shame, but I'll just be sure to mark it down myself.

^ I've never had a dealership ever update the mileage properly.

I let my dashcam worry about it if I've got suspicions. Most of the time I it goes unchecked.

I feel your pain! I had the recall done yesterday at Epic Ford in Everett, WA. When I brought the 2016 Sport in I asked my service writer for a copy of the alignment printout, I asked again for a copy when they finished the work. The service advisor walked back to the alignment bay, when he came back he said "the printer is not working" so no printout... I call BS.

When I got home I washed the car and found a very small ding in the passenger side door that was not there on Sunday when I washed the car. So I checked my dash cam just to see if it caught when it might have happened, someone repositioned it to point directly at the dashboard. This dashcam has been installed since I first bought the Sport in 2016 and never needed to be adjusted, this was intentional by someone at the dealership ...… so I have no video on when the ding happened.

This will be the last Ford for me for several reasons; the plastic trim on the new ST is big and ugly, the back end looks like a Toyota Rav-4, the ST price tag is high and there is more options for a $55k and up price tag and the number one reason, the dealers around me SUCK!

Had my recall done yesterday. Rear for set only.

While I was there, I asked for a quote to change the water pump, chain, and guides. They included a spark plug change on the quote. $2010. Not really as bad as I expected. I'll wait for my Premium Care to expire....if it goes before 100k miles, the replacement engine will only be $100 out of my pocket.

2016 Explorer Sport

Lost my 2011 XLT to a failed water pump.

I feel your pain! I had the recall done yesterday at Epic Ford in Everett, WA. When I brought the 2016 Sport in I asked my service writer for a copy of the alignment printout, I asked again for a copy when they finished the work. The service advisor walked back to the alignment bay, when he came back he said "the printer is not working" so no printout... I call BS.

When I got home I washed the car and found a very small ding in the passenger side door that was not there on Sunday when I washed the car. So I checked my dash cam just to see if it caught when it might have happened, someone repositioned it to point directly at the dashboard. This dashcam has been installed since I first bought the Sport in 2016 and never needed to be adjusted, this was intentional by someone at the dealership ...… so I have no video on when the ding happened.

This will be the last Ford for me for several reasons; the plastic trim on the new ST is big and ugly, the back end looks like a Toyota Rav-4, the ST price tag is high and there is more options for a $55k and up price tag and the number one reason, the dealers around me SUCK!
I guess if one wants better service, gotta pony up for a Lincoln haha.

Why does Lincoln give you that much better service?
It's considered the Luxury brand of Ford just like Lexus is with Toyota. You pay for it in the vehicle price. When had I my 2014 MKT they even changed the wipers for free as part of regular maintenance. There are several 'perks' for owners.

Peter

I can think of many others reasons not buy a Ford than above, however, compared to many complaints on this board, at 137k mine is mechanically aging well (especially for a 2011).
My Toyota dealership is great, but my Ford dealership is decent too.

Do you think that Ford is bad? Go to any other brand and you will find the same thing. That is unless you go to a high end brand and then you pay for it one way or another.

In my opinion, they did a bad alignment if any. Unless you have seriously worn components, your front total toe should be at or near 0. From the printout you're rear toe is where the issue is. Also the printout is most likely showing factory specs and not just generic alignment readings. I just installed a new aligner at a ford dealer who was doing a lot ot these and the repair itself was only a 15 min deal and they only set rear toe, never messed with front.

In my opinion, they did a bad alignment if any. Unless you have seriously worn components, your front total toe should be at or near 0. From the printout you're rear toe is where the issue is. Also the printout is most likely showing factory specs and not just generic alignment readings. I just installed a new aligner at a ford dealer who was doing a lot ot these and the repair itself was only a 15 min deal and they only set rear toe, never messed with front.
Its at 50k in just under 3 years of being on the road. Dunno if that's considered worn, I doubt it.
I did pay for a front alignment to be done along with the recall, but it seems like this tech was lazy and the dealer couldn't really be bothered with me in general.
There's another one down the road, might have to go there.

My dealer didn't test drive mine at all after the recall. That was a few months ago. My explorer hasn't felt right driving on the interstate since then so last weekend I had a 4 wheel alignment done at one of the chain stores. They had to make adjustments on front and back. I noticed right away on the interstate after the new alignment. It's time to find another dealer as I've been upset with this one for the last 2 or 3 times I've been there. Only reason why I was still with them is because I bought it there and have free oil changes. I miss my Infiniti dealer when I had my G35. Scheduled maintenance was similar in price and you got a loaner even for an oil change. NICE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer didn't test drive mine at all after the recall. That was a few months ago. My explorer hasn't felt right driving on the interstate since then so last weekend I had a 4 wheel alignment done at one of the chain stores. They had to make adjustments on front and back. I noticed right away on the interstate after the new alignment. It's time to find another dealer as I've been upset with this one for the last 2 or 3 times I've been there. Only reason why I was still with them is because I bought it there and have free oil changes. I miss my Infiniti dealer when I had my G35. Scheduled maintenance was similar in price and you got a loaner even for an oil change. NICE
I use our Lincoln dealer. Free loaners, plus they are small so I deal with the same service advisor / manager each time because he is the only one.

Back