• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise

wagonmaster69

Reaction score
City, State
Hacienda Heights, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 4.0 ohv.
I thought it was the breaks but still has the grinding noise like when the pads are gone and scraping the rotor.
Will the front bearings going out make the same sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you changed the pads/rotors, then yes...the wheel brgs would be next on my list to check. My experience has always been just one brg goes bad at a time and the noise is strictly related to wheel rotation; as compared to grinding brakes that will become more aggressive when pedal is applied. If you can determine which wheel is making the noise, best to pull the brg off and rotate it by hand to see if there is any noise or resistance. If it sounds like the noise is coming from both sides, you may be having some issues with the driveline pertaining to the 4WD.

Does the noise vary with the speed of the car? Is something stuck between the rotor and the dust shield? Is the dust shield bent? Is a brake pad stuck, not moving in the caliper?
Jack up the wheel off the ground and spin it. Does it make grinding noise? Is there any play in the wheel when you push and pull from side to side?
These are just some things I checked out when mine was making grinding noises.

Maybe anti-squeek gel wasn't used on last pad replacement ...or not enough....mine were squeaking and I "went in there" for something else and added some gel and issue resolved....

I just put new pads rotors and new hub bearings on both sides and still makes noise.

You still haven't mentioned whether you can determine if the noise is coming from one wheel, both wheels, general front end noise, etc. I realize with 4WD you can't just lift one wheel and spin it. If you've checked that the splash shield isn't bent and rubbing against the rotor, replaced the rotors, pads, brgs and confident everything was done correctly, there isn't much else other than cv joints that can cause rotation noise at the wheels. However, my experience with cv joints is that they make a clicking noise when turning. As I mentioned before, I'm wondering if your 4WD driveline isn't binding. Is the noise worse when turning corners? This can happen even if you aren't using your dash switch to move from Auto to 4HI/4LO (I speak from experience).

You still haven't mentioned whether you can determine if the noise is coming from one wheel, both wheels, general front end noise, etc. I realize with 4WD you can't just lift one wheel and spin it. If you've checked that the splash shield isn't bent and rubbing against the rotor, replaced the rotors, pads, brgs and confident everything was done correctly, there isn't much else other than cv joints that can cause rotation noise at the wheels. However, my experience with cv joints is that they make a clicking noise when turning. As I mentioned before, I'm wondering if your 4WD driveline isn't binding. Is the noise worse when turning corners? This can happen even if you aren't using your dash switch to move from Auto to 4HI/4LO (I speak from experience).
Just when breaking.
But did have the clicking noise when turning and has a whining noise when driving.
Going to put it up on all fours and see if I can find the noise.

Check your front tires for cupping on the inside this will cause a grinding / rumble sound when braking because the front suspension goes down when you brake

So new tires and a alignment

Believe me I rebuilt my full suspension front and back Inc bearings
But still noise :banghead:

The cupping will make a loud mud tire sound only when braking

Try to rotate your tires if the back ones are not cupped to

Good luck

. Info
Must watch

Years ago I was driving a full size GMC and especially when going down a certain stretch of freeway (contour of freeway) between 50 - 60 mph my front end would violently shake...and when I braked during this (somewhat panic braking) it got worse....turned out my front tires had cupping issues....replaced / resolved....(Wasn't implying that is your issue....just bringing up a cupping situation I had)

OP is complaining about a metallic grinding sound when braking only. Although everything is worth a look, I have never known cupped or damaged tires to emulate the sound resembling metal to metal contact. That's a pretty distinct sound.

Happened to me lol so I have seen it
It sounded like grinding breaks
Wheel bearing grinding

When breaking

Checked my front diff and it was dry took over a quart and a half to fill.
I'm afraid it might be fried.

That sux:mad:

I had a bad feeling it might have been something like that. If I recall, the front diff holds just under 3 qts...so, maybe the damage isn't as bad as you think? Has is quieted down?

Don't forget to check/change the fluid in the transfer case, too.

I did and it had fluids but I changed them anyways.
Hope you are right and may be the half shafts.

AAHHGGGG took it to the midas nearby and it was the rear brakes.
It sounded so much like it was coming from the front.
But so glad it wasn't the front differential.

Problem with driveline noises is that it is often difficult to tell where they originate. Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back