Explorer Code P0016 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Code P0016

has anyone actually replaced the cam sensors for code p0016? I have done the vvt solenoids and replaced 2 cam sensors. I have read that there are 4 and people have posted diagrams and even pics of a bare head showing 2 mounting bosses per head. however, the heads on my sport only has a single boss for one sensor. only other sensor i can see is the knock sensor. was there a change to the heads and the second sensor is located in another spot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Gerry.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same error.

Peter

My wife's daily popped the dreaded P0016 code last night. It is a 2015 sport and has 58,500 miles. I cleared it and it was back again this AM. Thanks to some research from this forum, I quickly learned this is likely NOT a sensor and more likely to be a stretched timing chain. I have the cold start "rattle" as well.

I made the first available appointment with my only local dealer which is not until next week. Hoping (based on the information from here) that the entirety of repairs will be covered under the power train warranty.

A few questions:

1. The F150s have a TSB for this. Is there one for the explorers?

2. If no TSB do i have leverage to ensure they do the tensioners and phasers as well? I would hope they do, but i am new to this area and have no rapport with the local dealer.

3. I saw the recommendation to do the water pump as well. Thats great advice, and I will ask to pay out of pocket if necessary to ensure it gets done while everything is apart.

4. Any other recommendations? I am a little concerned they just throw a new cam sensor in, but it appears if the chain is stretched the CEL should return quickly even with a new sensor.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for the help and support.

So my Explorer started throwing a code for P0016 - Crankshaft position - Camshaft position correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A

This seems to very common on the ecoboost engines and there is a TSB out for the trucks so I dropped it off at the dealer today for them to look it over.

Got a call back a few hours later and told that the timing chain is worn out and will need to be replaced to the tune of $3200. Have many of you had this come up yet??? Seems like an excessive repair for relatively new vehicle. 2013 w/ 77k

So my Explorer started throwing a code for P0016 - Crankshaft position - Camshaft position correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A

This seems to very common on the ecoboost engines and there is a TSB out for the trucks so I dropped it off at the dealer today for them to look it over.

Got a call back a few hours later and told that the timing chain is worn out and will need to be replaced to the tune of $3200. Have many of you had this come up yet??? Seems like an excessive repair for relatively new vehicle. 2013 w/ 77k

About $1,400 too much (should be $1,800+/-). 10-12 hour job. So say $1,400 in labor.. I'd love to know how they come up with a $1,800 chain.

Your thread was merged with the same topic using the search function which may help.

If you are going to go ahead with that repair Ryan, it might be a good idea to have them replace the water pump as well.

Peter

Hey there, new member here. Seems my wife's 2015 Explorer sport is having the same issue. Rough Idle at stop lights while in drive and just started getting the P0016 code on sunday night. Any updates from anyone? I can only find the TSB for the F150 is it the same for the Explorers or a different one. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum Javier.:wave:

Peter

Hello,

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT FWD. Coolant was leaking out of the weep hole (I guess a known issue on this model explorer). I replaced the water pump and all the timing components (not the phasers).

After conducting the above repair, I have a P0016 error code. I've been troubleshooting for a couple weeks. Here is what I know.

Issue:
- P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A
- Low oil pressure in dash warning comes up intermittently at low idle with a warm engine

At low idle, cold engine:
- Bank 1 intake camshaft stuck at 12 degree advance. PCM wants it at 0 degrees.

At high idle (>1500 rpm), cold engine:
- Bank 1 intake camshaft stuck at 12 degree advance. Phaser does not respond to desired angle from PCM.
- Engine sluggish when driving.

At high idle (>1500 rpm), warm engine:
- Timing accurate. All phasers responding normally.
- Engine is normal when driving.

At low idle, warm engine:
- Low oil pressure indicator comes on.
- Bank 1 intake phaser angle flips between 12 degree and 0 degrees (where it should be).

I've ruled out the following:
- VCT solenoid blockage.
- A bad VCT solenoid. It is operating as it should.
- A bad camshaft sensor.
- A bad PCM.

I believe the issue is one of the things listed below. However, due to the scale of the work, I would like to get some feedback from the community.

- A clogged oil pickup screen;
- A bad Bank 1 intake phaser; or
- A bad oil pump.

I appreciate any comments on this as to what you think is wrong and what I should try next.

Thanks,
eleven

Sure you dont have an internal oil leak coming from the phaser solenoid?

Hello,

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT FWD. Coolant was leaking out of the weep hole (I guess a known issue on this model explorer). I replaced the water pump and all the timing components (not the phasers).

After conducting the above repair, I have a P0016 error code. I've been troubleshooting for a couple weeks. Here is what I know.

I appreciate any comments on this as to what you think is wrong and what I should try next.

Thanks,
eleven
Your thread was moved to this existing one on the same issue. You may also want to check out; Timing Chain Already???

Peter

I wish you kept this as a unique thread. What I posted is not generic.

Sure you dont have an internal oil leak coming from the phaser solenoid?
I'm almost 100% sure. I swapped intake VCT solenoids. Same issue.

I've pulled them both and cleaned them with mass air flow clean while cycling them. They work.

I wish you kept this as a unique thread. What I posted is not generic.

It may not be generic but when someone searches a P0016 code, they will now see your issues and the others all in 1 thread. It keeps everything organized and you will still get the same responses posted either way.

Now on to your issue, it was way beyond my knowledge but please keep us posted on updates once you figure it out.

It may not be generic but when someone searches a P0016 code, they will now see your issues and the others all in 1 thread. It keeps everything organized and you will still get the same responses posted either way.

I appreciate you and this community. I appreciate everyone's contribution.

I appreciate you and this community. I appreciate everyone's contribution.

eleven

Have you checked oil pressure? Any oil light before the chains?

I haven't checked oil pressure (I don't have a oil pressure gauge). The oil light was off prior the chains. After the chains I ran a can of Bg109 EPR in my crank case prior an oil change. The light was coming on since then.

So was the light off after the chains but before the can of Bg?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So was the light off after the chains but before the can of Bg?
Yes, the light was off after the chains and the never came on prior the can of Bg. Do you think I could have some sludge plugging something up?

I pulled the valve covers after the Bg treatment. The internal engine was shiny clean.

Back