2002 Sport Trac numerous questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac numerous questions

Mikey K

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
First of all, thanks for allowing me into the forum. Now, onto the business at hand. I have scoured the Internet looking for the initialization procedures I've read about to no avail. The problems I'm having with the truck are as follows.
1 rear window won't go up or down. Well, won't go down, so up is just a guess. All other Windows work including the sun roof.
2 Keep getting CD ERROR on the factory radio. I'm sure there are some CD's stuck in it, don't know how to get them out though.
3 side mirrors will not adjust.
4 if I remember correctly the 5 digit code for the keyless entry is under the vent by the windshield
5 lastly, the ever popular heater core leak is present. But, living in SE Georgia, not overly concerned right now. A/C is functioning.
Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.
Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope.

What CD player do you have? The FORD OEM multi-disc units (6 disc) are notorious for having "issues". I know I have one in my '02 Ranger Edge.

The mirror issue (providing power is reaching the adjustment switch) is likely the switch itself. My mirrors would only move in 2 directions. Fiddled with the switch contacts, but couldn't get it to work reliably in all 4 directions. Replaced the switch and no problems since.

The rear window on these trucks uses a "module" to control UP/DOWN/VENT functions. Why Ford decided to make this overly complex IDK, but the control module can fail. Also the window motor and mechanism can fail. I wish Ford had just installed a simple UP/DOWN switch for the stupid rear window. Then you could open/close it like any other power window, instead of the options of full down, full up, or vent positions (plus the ever popular "bounce-back" feature). You'll probably need to remove the rear trim panel to figure out what's going on. There is also a reinitialize procedure, but it's never done me any good.

Back