Best baby seat and base for 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best baby seat and base for 2016 Explorer

Cali-Bear

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Platinum
Hi all

Ran into a bit of a problem today. We have had our Explorer for about two months now as we needed a new suv for the new arrival or our baby. So I was going to fit my car seat and base tonight, but the base doesn’t get level in the second row seating with the level indicator.

The car seat and base is the Chicco fit 2, it looks too big for the seat in the Explorer.

Has anyone had a similar problem in their car and if so what did you do/recommend a base and seat to fit?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have the Graco one(don't remember exact name) and it fits just fine.

If it is too big for an explorer, what vehicle would it fit? Take some picture maybe someone here can help you. Maybe one of the parents on here can make a tutorial. I am a new Grandfather so I'm interested as I have not done this in 30 years. I know car seats are completely different now. They face the rear now correct? When can the child sit forward?

Always a big fan of the Nautilus from Graco. There 3-1 or maybe 4-1 now. So you never have to buy another one after that. These fit fine in our 2016.

Hi all

Ran into a bit of a problem today. We have had our Explorer for about two months now as we needed a new suv for the new arrival or our baby. So I was going to fit my car seat and base tonight, but the base doesn’t get level in the second row seating with the level indicator.

The car seat and base is the Chicco fit 2, it looks too big for the seat in the Explorer.

Has anyone had a similar problem in their car and if so what did you do/recommend a base and seat to fit?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
A quick search brought up several threads. Not sure if any answer your question or not.
Car Seat search finalized
Car Seats (Baby) & Inflatable Seat Belt
Car seats question

Good luck and congratulations.

Peter

They're a little pricey but we used Diono. They aren't as wide as most seats and fit very well. We had 3 kids at one time that needed to be in 2 baby seats and 1 needed a booster. We put the 2 baby seats side by side on the 60 part of the 60/40 second row. The Explorer was a nicer fit for our situation than the 2012 Traverse we had.

Have used keyfit 30 for 1st one and snugride 35 right now. My 2011 base model has poor leg room in rear, newer ones seems to be improved.

I have it behind passenger, my son sits in the 3rd row.

We've used Britax with good results - once installed. No problem getting the proper angle.

One pet peeve of mine is that I have to move the seatback recline into its most upright position or else the clamps will not engage the anchors. I have leather seats - it may not be a problem with cloth seats. The upright position pushes the carseat away from the anchors which means I have to extend the carseat straps all the way. Once hooked, I recline the seatback to an angle that matches the carseat and then have to tighten the straps back up. This makes installation take at least twice as long as it should. Maybe brands other than Britax have thinner clamps and won't have this issue?

Back