Brake help needed with 02 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake help needed with 02 Explorer

southexp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLS
I have an 02 Explorer that recently started having some brake issues. Everything seemed fine until yesterday, when I came home from work, I would have to press the brake pedal a couple inches deeper than normal to stop.

I took the vehicle in to a local brake shop this morning and they quoted me at $1200. They said that it needed these parts replaced:

Master Cylinder
Brake Fluid Pressure Sensor
Front and Rear Rotors and Pads.

A second place I called told me that I may not need all the work done and may just need the master cylinder. He also told me that it is a rarity for the fluid pressure sensor to go out or need replacing. I am taking it to him Monday for him to look and quote but I wanted to get any advice or opinions on here first if possible.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pads/rotors are the bread and butter of most shops. While they may need done, they could also have 6 months to a year left on them. Without pictures it’s really hard to tell.

It could be critical to do all (less the sensor) or you may just need the master cylinder now.

Pull off the wheels and look at the pads and discs, you might not need them. Any weird noises when you try and brake? Do the brakes actually work at all?

Its not that hard to replace the master cylinder, though bleeding it can be a bit tricky. If you go that route, try to get a part that comes with the nylon bleeder connection/hoses, so that you don't need to chase them down separately (pain in the butt) like I did. Under $100.

The one possible exception is: if your front brakes are SO worn out that they spit out (or jammed) a brake pad on one side or the other. That should result in noise or at least a noticeable pull to the other side on hard braking.

Back