P0175 & P0172 code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0175 & P0172 code

Fordman999

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
So I don't know whats going on my car recently had a bad catalytic converter and I replaced it with new oxygen sensors and the problem went away. Then suddenly my car has been losing a LOT of gas mileage. I replaced coolant temp sensor, sparkplugs, new gas cap, new fuel filter, new intake manifold gaskets, and still nothing. Just yesterday I bought a new mass airflow sensor and suddenly this code showed up! I dont know if I have a restricted fuel return line or if an injector is bad or if I have a vacuum leak or bad fuel pressure sensor. Does anyone have any guess as to what would cause such a drastically high loss of gas all of the sudden with this code? I am losing a 1/4 tank of gas every 60 miles I drive! Also the code says it is bank 1 & bank 2 being affected at the same time and to suspect fuel pressure condition or fuel injector problem or ignition misfire. Just not sure what the heck is going on. I kind of suspect a vacuum leak since the gas mileage had gotten progressively worse but not sure, just not sure and frustrated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a scan tool that will read live data? Comparing fuel trims at idle and 2000 rpm can diagnose a vacuum leak, although a vacuum leak should make it go lean instead of rich. Seeing the data stream off of the mass air flow sensor could tell you if you have a bad connection or sensor.

If both banks are affected, look for your problems before the air path splits (MAF sensor, throttle body, EGR, etc). Individual injectors will not trigger a rich code on both sides. Fuel pressure regulator may be worth a look.

Could the oustide fresh air door for the AC cause this? The outside fresh air door for the AC broke and I just removed it but this should only affect how much outside air is recirculating through the AC vents right??

I can't think of any way that could be the cause.

Ok thanks. Yeah the car is running VERY rich wasting a lot of gas and now that I think about it that might have been what damaged my catalytic converter to begin with. Do you think a certified Ford dealer will be able to look at my fuel trims and come up with a correct diagnosis? Reason I ask is because the techs are people like you and me and I just don't know if they will for sure find the problem. Hopefully they can read the fuel trim scanner accurately and come with a correct diagnosis

Hello plasticsengineer I hope you're morning is going well. Guess what....figured out the problem and Oh My God does attention to detail matter. So after my cat and 02 sensors went bad 2 years ago and changed those and changed a lot of parts to my vehicle (coolant sensor, MAF sensor, sparkplugs, fuel filter, due to gas issues and codes I just realized something yesterday while looking at my engine....I had wired the sparkplug wires incorrectly a few years ago when I bought a new ignition block. I just realized this yesterday since I was just sitting there staring at my engine trying to find a vacuum leak or trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my Explorer. Well I mixed up all of the sparkplug wires and I had a mechanic install new sparkplug wires and put it back the same way years ago before I changed my ignition block so I don't remember if it was his fault but I think it was because I remember putting the wires back in the same location I removed them before changing the block because I labeled everything with a marker prior to removing any cables but regardless it was wrong. Now since this morning I put the sparkplug wires in the correct order and the car is running just fine. My God that was the problem! Thanks plasticsengineer for that OBDII wireless I can use that and it's worth the $20. Have a good day!

Hello plasticsengineer I hope you're morning is going well. Guess what....figured out the problem and Oh My God does attention to detail matter. So after my cat and 02 sensors went bad 2 years ago and changed those and changed a lot of parts to my vehicle (coolant sensor, MAF sensor, sparkplugs, fuel filter, due to gas issues and codes I just realized something yesterday while looking at my engine....I had wired the sparkplug wires incorrectly a few years ago when I bought a new ignition block. I just realized this yesterday since I was just sitting there staring at my engine trying to find a vacuum leak or trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my Explorer. Well I mixed up all of the sparkplug wires and I had a mechanic install new sparkplug wires and put it back the same way years ago before I changed my ignition block so I don't remember if it was his fault but I think it was because I remember putting the wires back in the same location I removed them before changing the block because I labeled everything with a marker prior to removing any cables but regardless it was wrong. Now since this morning I put the sparkplug wires in the correct order and the car is running just fine. My God that was the problem! Thanks plasticsengineer for that OBDII wireless I can use that and it's worth the $20. Have a good day!
Wow it's quite amazing that you had your wires crossed up for so long. My experience with crossing wires up has always been extremely rough idling and misfiring. So your vehicle actually idled smooth with the wires being crossed up?

Wow it's quite amazing that you had your wires crossed up for so long. My experience with crossing wires up has always been extremely rough idling and misfiring. So your vehicle actually idled smooth with the wires being crossed up?

Well unfortunately this was only one of another issue I found. I am still having the issue. I am going to have the intake "smoked" to see if I have a vacuum leak although I've tried starter fluid and no luck. Also I suspect my emission system might be the problem maybe by EGR or DPFE or vapor canister clogged. Here is what I have done so far:

New catalytic converter
All new 02 sensor
New fuel pump
New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
New IAC vale
New MAF sensor
New Coolant sensor
New PCV valve
New thermostat
New upper intake manifold gaskets (My vehicle model does not have lower intake manifold gaskets)
New fuel cap
New fuel injectors

omg are you kidding me?
Damit it I thought you actually had figured this tricky ***** out. (I'm dealing with the same nightmare, and it ain't my plug wires)

Well unfortunately this was only one of another issue I found. I am still having the issue. I am going to have the intake "smoked" to see if I have a vacuum leak although I've tried starter fluid and no luck. Also I suspect my emission system might be the problem maybe by EGR or DPFE or vapor canister clogged. Here is what I have done so far:

New catalytic converter
All new 02 sensor
New fuel pump
New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
New IAC vale
New MAF sensor
New Coolant sensor
New PCV valve
New thermostat
New upper intake manifold gaskets (My vehicle model does not have lower intake manifold gaskets)
New fuel cap
New fuel injectors

LOOKs like my parts list. Have you figured out the P0172, P0175 issue?

Back