PLAN B Build | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So here is my codes to deal with

B1600 - transponder Signal Not received
B2103 - Antenna not connected
P1000 - drive cycle: not worried about this
P0500 - Speed Sensor: not worried about this

and I get a bunch of other random codes...like it can't find the rear defroster now. :sawzall: and the air bags aren't responding:laugh:

It is possible i got to bad ignition halos? I've tried two I pulled from the JY and both show the same code. They are the same part number as original. Do I just go buy a new one from Ford, or could this be a ground issue somewhere?

The other issue I wonder is cluster linked in PATS? I swapped in a '01 Spot Trac cluster into this. The '97 I had, needed a new cluster and I cannibalized it from this. Did I just screw myself over by doing that?

I remembered I swapped JP's and did not have issues, but maybe I just swapped the gauge faces :dunno:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Pats has nothing to do with the cluster, there is one wire from pats to cluster and that is the theft light wire.
Pats will work just fine even with the theft wire unhooked to anything

B1600 "PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received"
"No PATS Key Read by the PATS Control”, and is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detects a communication failure between a PATS key and the PCM/"

B2103 Antennae not connected
Since this is not a stereo code I will assume it is a pats code....something in your pats wiring is off/not correct. The pats module and or pcm is not seeing the halo or something along those lines

possible the pats key is bad?

When was the last time this PCM/pats/key worked (in the donor)
What wiring has been done to the pats? I am going back into your thread here to look, I want to see if you used the whole dash wiring or if you added pats to the old dash.....
Did you use the entire wiring harness from the SOHC donor?

Pats is pretty easy to troubleshoot.....first check your fuses because your PATS module gets power from the battery constant and also from acc on ignition switch.. Make sure its getting power. The code seems to tell us the PCM is powered up but not seeing a signal from the pats module behind the air bag
Check the wiring to and from the pats module
The pats module talks to the PCM through the two Serial bus wires + and -

I swapped the entire wiring harness, headlight to taillight. No original wiring remains.

Everything worked and ran before I did the transplant. No issues, No CEL, started right up.

I only have one key, and it did get banged around, the ring part broke off. But the chip is still in it. You can actually see a small piece of it now:frown: The THEFT light turns off, doesn't flash after. Anyway can test the key? Maybe see if JP gives me a wrong key error? Or will it just say the same thing?

Also I'm bypassing the key cylinder, and just using the key and Halo next to each other. I kept the Navajo column. Just using the ignition switch box right now.

I guess I could test the Halo ring in JP, to see if it works:dunno:

next to each other? I have thought about doing this before but never actually did....using the key and halo without sticking them in the actual lock cylinder
Check your wiring plugs at the pats module, make sure things are seated.
I am sure you have the key sitting inside the halo?
The pats should disable the injectors not the fuel pump? Thinking out loud here.... maybe try powering the fuel pump directly see if she starts? you SHOULD hear a fuel pump?

I just tried something else before I left for work.

In JP (also PATS) if you try to use a non chip key, (I have a spare just door key) the THEFT light flashs.

The same thing happens in the Navajo with no key. But with the Key the THEFT light goes out, like it should.

So I'm hearing the fuel pump now, and there's no THEFT light, so I think I need a better battery situation and some fuel and maybe she'll start.

Only real concern are grounds, need to check this out.

Bad news is this all has to wait for the weekend now. :banghead:

I agree
You may try clearing the codes see if the pats ones come back
Fingers crossed!! sohc powered navajo with coilovers!!! Yes please

She's Alive! :bounce:

Fuel +spark+ air....started right up!

Has a really high idle, but that's probably because there's no back pressure and no maf or air cleaner hooked up.:rolleyes:. And it hasn't run in a year and a half.

Edit: high idle fixed. Throttle cable was not adjusted correctly. Idles fine now

Parent verified via the phone!

YEAH BUDDY!! Oh yeah, it runs!! Well done, well deserved, here's to the new SOHC power plant running!!!!!
In the epic words/voice of Ace Ventura: Stic-O has solved the case!!!

"CAN YOU FEEL THAT??!!"

maxresdefault.jpg

It's officially a NAVAHO now :thumbsup:

As seen on FB, she moves under her own power. So the trans works, shifter still need some adjustment, As when I fist tried to move it....R was N...whoops!:dunno:

I've been sick this past week, so didn't get to much done, but learned something big today, in that before the truck can even think about touching the street, even for a test drive, I have to rebuild the engine cage! Just turning the steering back and forth you can see the coilover towers and body twist:wtf:

Also...at what point did the change the front seat mounts? this is a early Navajo 12/90 build, and Ford later added a seat brace to the explorer floors it looks like. so there are specific seat mounts for these early trucks?

Congrats Yeeyeee

As seen on FB, she moves under her own power. So the trans works, shifter still need some adjustment, As when I fist tried to move it....R was N...whoops!:dunno:

I've been sick this past week, so didn't get to much done, but learned something big today, in that before the truck can even think about touching the street, even for a test drive, I have to rebuild the engine cage! Just turning the steering back and forth you can see the coilover towers and body twist:wtf:

Also...at what point did the change the front seat mounts? this is a early Navajo 12/90 build, and Ford later added a seat brace to the explorer floors it looks like. so there are specific seat mounts for these early trucks?

The 91 seats are somehow different at the floor than the 92-01's. That rarely comes up but ages ago I read that any 92-94 can use the 95-01 seat tracks. But the seats should still have the same four bolt pattern to swap those.

How far off is the floor mounting? I still have my old 91 XLT that I never got rid of.

So after wheeling the Ranger yesterday I felt inspired to work on this a little.

The horn works now:dunno:

Well, horns are important in Southern California

I almost never use mine, JP's hasn't worked in a long time. But it was the easiest wiring project to do on the Navajo, and I needed a win. So I'll take it.

Back