• Register Today It's free!

BW 4405 transfer case

Sabianwolf

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
is there anyway to check the range fork with out having to open the case up. Because im not having any luck finding and local auto store that can get the gasket that goes in between the two halves. i lost reverse in my 99 explorer wanted to makes sure it was not because of the transfer case. it has the 5r553 transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure if your transfer case is at fault you won't lose just reverse.
I just replaced my 4405 because I lost all gears except for 4 low.
Maybe a bad reverse servo seal or reverse band?

I rebuilt my tranny not long ago. Parts are easy to get online, don't cost too much and fairly easy to work on. I was told by a reputable transmission shop that putting "Form-a-Gasket" on both halves of the case is the easiest and most leak resistant way to put it back together.

Most transfer cases dont use a normal style "gasket", one reason is because a crush style paper,cork,rubber gasket would not provide the stability that directly mounting the two surfaces together provides. I have found the "PERMATEX" Ultra Grey works great for sealing the halves of transfer cases. A small bead about the size of a pencil lead is all that is needed all the way around the mounting surface, once the bolts are torqued to spec., a small amount will squeeze out and a very thin film is formed, and this fills the imperfections in the metal surface and prevents fluid from escaping.

The BW 4406 that was rebuilt by the shop came back with RTV sealing the two case halves. If I remember right, when I rebuilt my BW 4404 myself, I used blue RTV to seal the case halves together with no problems.

Back