• Register Today It's free!

Noise when slowing down

scubastevesx

Reaction score
City, State
WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EXPLORER XLT 4.6
Been a long time sence iv been here. Had my explorer for the last 7 years its been one of the more reliable cars iv owned drove cross country last year washington to florida. Its 2006 4.6 4x4
With 155000 miles. Its making a nosie slowing down. Buts its normal to anything i know of
Kinda sounds like i have really aressive tires almost kind of a low hum. Does from 30mi down to stopping. Iv but it i netraul while driveing makes the same in gear or out. Iv grabed the tire when jacked they dont move. Iv replaced the hubs 750000 mi ago. Wondering if there bad again any help would be great thanks alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm, with only 150K on it, how did you change the hubs at 750K? LOL.

Hubs or bearings would be where I'd start. Mine's doing the same, with 176K. No idea if they're the original parts or not...time will tell.

Added too many zeros i changed the hubs right around 75,000 miles with timkens im leaning towards hubs going to have the tires rotated and balanced but not thinking thats the problem

I may be bias because I just changed mine, but I suspect your rear differential.... grab your driveshaft near the rear diff and see if you can move it up/down side/side.

Thanks for the reply drove it this weekend. Its starting sound like a bad bearing has the hum at a consent speed winds down till about 20 mph and goes away its deff from the front end. But going to do exactly what you said befor i ordered any parts was check the drive shafts for any play and see what the carrier bearing looks and feels like along with some new fluid.

Thanks for the reply drove it this weekend. Its starting sound like a bad bearing has the hum at a consent speed winds down till about 20 mph and goes away its deff from the front end. But going to do exactly what you said befor i ordered any parts was check the drive shafts for any play and see what the carrier bearing looks and feels like along with some new fluid.
Did you have any play in the driveshaft?

How did you fix that problem?

Back