• Register Today It's free!

Sport / 3.5EB Slowing Over Time

C4talyst

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I've seen reference to this perceived issue in several places over the years. I have 17 Exploree Sport that was purchased new. It feels noticeably slower now than it did a year or so ago.

Has anyone else heard of this issue or have an opinion. I believe it was Motor Trend that said the same about a Raptor the had in long-term testing over a year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cant really go by "feel", you need track numbers, like 1/4 mile e.t. and mph. or a "g-tech" meter. HAve to have quantifiable numbers, or anything else is just guessing, that is unless the power loss is really bad.

I know, you're right. I am essentially going by feelz here...something I try to avoid. Reading about this issues elsewhere may bbn have biased me as well. It definitely feels slower, and, I had trouble passing a 5-year-old Pathfinder yesterday. We were both doing 65 when I went to pass on thr highway.

Easiest things first: make sure your floor mat is not preventing the accelerator from going all the way to the floor.

What octane fuel are you using. If you're using 87 octane fuel in your EB in the summer months it will not run as well as using 87 in the cooler months. Ford recommends premium fuel in the summer heat and when towing with EB engines for better performance. Our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer accelerates better with premium fuel in the summer. But at $0.50-0.60/gallon for premium fuel we an accept the lesser performance :D.

Whimsey

Back