Which style lug nuts should I use on these rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which style lug nuts should I use on these rims?

7B980343-9615-4027-9FD4-E417D8193FF3.jpeg
429C7D23-3C0C-4A58-8FDB-73F09A17C808.jpeg
i just bought a beater 94 B4000 that has these aluminum rims. The nuts on there now look like factory acorn nuts.
Shouldn’t aluminum rims use the other kind of nuts, with a smooth shank and a washer?
My question is, should I stick with the acorns since the holes are now coned?
Also, anyone know what brand the rims are?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would stick with the acorns. Stock wheels are both hub and lug centric, and acorns center the wheel to the hub flange. Most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric, but you can buy centric rings to make them so. Without being hub centric, you need the acorns to center it.

Mag wheels that use the style your talking about, have a thicker hub center, 1/2" or thicker lug holes, with deep shoulders for the 1/8" washers. Think Krager slotted or Stars.

You can get shank acorns that go into the wheel as well. I have 3/4" Long shank acorns on a set of aftermarket aluminum's.

Hmm, okay. That outer larger flat shoulder looked perfect for a washer. I was thinking the lug hole had a squared off edge originally, and is now coned from years of the acorn tightened on it.
I’m planning to get a new set of lugs and figured I should get the correct ones, is why I asked in the first place.

Acorn lugs to help keep the wheel centered since hub doesn't appear to fit tight (no evidence of mark in center hub)

Acorns

Centerline Falcons

upload_2019-8-7_10-38-16.png

upload_2019-8-7_10-38-56.png

Wow, I wouldn’t have guessed!
I have centerlines on my other Ranger, and they have the name stamped right on them.
On these, I can find nothing, not even rim size, and I scrutinized them front and back.
So Kent, assuming those are your rims, what style lugnut are you using on them?

So Kent, assuming those are your rims, what style lugnut are you using on them?

Just some pics I found online of the wheels. Seen different styles of centercaps though.

upload_2019-8-7_18-37-46.png

Custom?
upload_2019-8-7_18-38-42.png

upload_2019-8-7_18-40-48.png

I seen there are some Centerline centercaps on eBay with the same two-screw design. I wonder if any of those are direct fit :dunno:

Summit Racing website states: "Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat - 60 degree"

Summit Racing website states: "Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat - 60 degree"
Boom! There’s the confirmation! Thank you!
I searched, and even looked at the centerline website, and couldn’t find them.

Back