Installing body lift. Any tips before I get started? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing body lift. Any tips before I get started?

dacaur2

Reaction score
City, State
eagle mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe i dug around on here for days regarding Body lifts on 4th gen and if you only used a 1.5 inch body lift instead of 3inch you didnt have any issues with fan shroud, rear bumper, steering col extension etc.

if you find new body mounts ( the rubber) let me know been looking everywhere for these!

Quick update. Literally the day before I was going to start installing my body lift, my dog died. So we drove he downtown to the pet crematorium. As we were nearly there, We started to hear a scraping sound and a large drag on the engine, which came and went. We took care of business and started home, staying on side streets rather than the freeway because the Explorer was acting up... I thought it was something in the brakes so just determined we would get home slowly and then I would look at it, so kept it under 35mph. About 10-15 miles later, there was a large grinding noise and forward momentum was greatly impeded and then a clicking/knocking/squeaking noise when I tried to drive.... Got her towed home and after ruling out brakes, (normal and parking), I determined the rear diff was bad. A junkyard differential was swapped in and its back on the road....
However, this was my last straw with this vehicle. Every time something goes wrong I think "oh, good, now it will be reliable for a while!". After 3 years of ownership, replacing the AC system twice, 4 front swaybar links, both front wheel bearings, rebuilding the transmission, replacing one front axle shaft, now the rear differential, and im sure im forgetting a few things, I am throwing in the towel. I have NEVER had this much trouble with a vehicle. Ever. Add to that EVERYTHING is such a pita to work on, I'm just done. Im selling the explorer. Every person I told when I bought it looked at me like I was crazy. "why would you buy an explorer?" I thought they were just holding old bias's from past explorers.... Well, Now Im on their side. Its time to make my EX my Ex....

So of course, there will be no body lift thread..... in case you couldn't tell thats what I was getting at here.... Good luck with your mods everyone.

Wow. lol.

A 9 year old SUV needing work? Say it ain't so....

I mean, needing work? Yea, I get that. Things go wrong on used vehicles. Thing is, I've had significantly older vehicles with way more miles that needed way less work. I just want to be able to go more than 3 months without something going wrong. It was only 7 years old at 90K miles when I bought it, and it was not all that long before my first issue. Our 2004 Honda has needed about $150 in maintenance in that same amount of time. I bought this explorer for about $14k. I've put over $5k into it in the 3 years I have owned it keeping it running. Its at 140k miles now. When I rebuilt the transmission at 112k miles I thought "well, at least It will be reliable now for a while".... but nope. Problems, big and small just keep comming. I have just said that way too many times. "At least now its going to be reliable for a while" gets old when I have to say it over and over every times I fix something. Maybe if I had bought a V8 things would have been different. Maybe not. Maybe every single person I talked to that said they would never buy an explorer was right.

sorry to hear. Ive owned 9 explorers (currently still own #8 and #9). They have been the most reliable vehicles. All sold with at least 200K on them.
Clicked on this link cause im about to install a body lift on my 06 .

Well good luck with your install. The link I posted in my first post has all the info you need.

Back