• Register Today It's free!

Battery Disconnection Problems

Ignacio Otero

Reaction score
City, State
Bogota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer Limited
Hey Guys!! New to the forum. I have a summer house in which we have a car parked that is rarely used. I just took my 2015 Explorer, to leave it there, and installed a battery kill switch to avoid it from draining while not in use. However, I just came over, connected the kill switch to find out that the dash looks like a Christmas tree. Everything needs programming!! Key fobs are not recognized, cruise control, it has tons of messages, etc. Phoned the dealer and obviously said that we had to take it over for programming. However, the nearest dealer is 100 miles away, and seems absurd to have to do this every time we'll be using the truck. Any thoughts about it? Any tips?

BTW. there is no power outlet close to the parking space to install a battery maintainer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Ignacio.:wave:
The "Christmas tree" description has been used here a few times and is usually a sign of a bad/dead battery. The only thing that I can think of is to remove the battery when you plan to let it sit for a long period of time. This will result in the loss of all saved memory and certain items such as the transmission and fuel trim strategy will have to "relearn". BTW, just how long does it sit between using it? Are you able to store the removed battery in a garage or place where you can attach a 'maintainer'?
Perhaps others have suggestions. I don't drive much and get the Battery Saver message about once or every other month. I just put a charger on it and it is good to go again. Is the battery the original one?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ignacio.:wave:
The "Christmas tree" description has been used here a few times and is usually a sign of a bad/dead battery. The only thing that I can think of is to remove the battery when you plan to let it sit for a long period of time. This will result in the loss of all saved memory and certain items such as the transmission and fuel trim strategy will have to "relearn". BTW, just how long does it sit between using it? Are you able to store the removed battery in a garage or place where you can attach a 'maintainer'?
Perhaps others have suggestions. I don't drive much and get the Battery Saver message about once or every other month. I just put a charger on it and it is good to go again. Is the battery the original one?

Peter
Thanks Peter!!
The kill switch is what we use when we plan to let it sit for a long time. It depends how long it takes between uses, but at the most it could be around 4 months.
Will the "christmas tree" effect only happen when the battery dies? Will it not happen too if the battery is removed?

Ignacio

If the battery is removed and fully charged when put back in, I doubt you would see that "effect" because people get batteries installed all the time without that issue.
Are you able to get the Explorer boosted now to get you going again? I'm not that familiar with a 'Kill Switch' but looking at the Internet, it seems there are different types that can perform different functions. Are you sure that the one you have cuts off ALL drainage on the battery?

Peter

If the battery is removed and fully charged when put back in, I doubt you would see that "effect" because people get batteries installed all the time without that issue.
Are you able to get the Explorer boosted now to get you going again? I'm not that familiar with a 'Kill Switch' but looking at the Internet, it seems there are different types that can perform different functions. Are you sure that the one you have cuts off ALL drainage on the battery?

Peter
Yes, the kill switch cuts off all drainage. It basically disconnects the battery.
This is the first time that we've left the truck here, so we ran into that surprise today, but all the other vehicles we've had here over the years have had a kill switch and works like a charm.

Since this time it didn't have the kill switch installed and the battery died, am gonna give it a try with the kill switch to see if that works. I dont mind losing all the memory settings, but not all the programming.

Thanks again!!

Ignacio

I'd just get a battery maintainer and hard wire it into the car with a plug going outside of the hood. Then just plug it in when you leave your house until you come back. It will keep the battery fully charged without doing any damage. They can be found on Amazon and auto parts stores for anywhere from $7 on up.

I actually use one on both my Explorer and a diesel F250 whenever they are going to sit for extended periods of time.

With all the computer and electronics on these vehicles it is never good to disconnect the battery for a length of time unless you want to come back to something like what you found.

Low voltage, bad connection, etc. Modules don't loose their functionality by having the battery disconnected for a length of time. You need to double check things.

Any thoughts about it? Any tips?

BTW. there is no power outlet close to the parking space to install a battery maintainer.

Get an extension cord or have an outlet installed near the vehicle so you can plug in a maintenance charger.

Or, remove battery and store on a maintenance charger.

Those are your best options for longer term (say more than a few weeks) storage of a battery. A kill switch is fine for short term storage (say a week or so) or as a rudimentary anti-theft option.

Back