4r70 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4r70

Exploder2125

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT v8
i have a 2003 XLT v8 Explorer and am wondering how hard a 4r70 swap will be. It will be on a 3” inch lift in the front and 2” in the rear and 1-2 inch body lift. (or more if needed) any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated. Already blew up stock one and had to have the new one rebuilt again. Has had a newish differential put in has about 90k on it And torque converter is now on it’s way out the door I think. Have plans on possibly building motor and slapping a supercharger on.

71133014-FA0D-48E8-AFBE-78B1B01D6BEF.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you need to remove your 4r70w auto trans and replace it with the new rebuilt one?
Always replace the converter at the same time.
post is a little un clear as to what your plans are?

I don't think the V-8 ever came with the 5R55.

Won't bolt up if I am correct.

okay so the 2003 Explorer uses a 5r55e
The SOHC v6 trucks and V8 trucks use a similar transmission BUT with a different bellhousing and torque converter

I am not sure if you can swap to a 4.6L 4r70w, is your 03 2wd or 4x4?

No it’s stock with a 5r55 and am wanting to swap to a 4r70.
Thunderbird guys would get engines out of wrecked explorers for the lighter aluminum block. They bolted right up to a 4r70w. You may need to fabricate a brace, but I don't see why not? Another issue could be driveshaft length. Then you would need a trans controller or a flash. Wonder if you could use a crown vic or F150 PCM to control the trans?

smart thinkin
I know US shift (optishift, Baumman controls)makes a stand alone controller for the 4r70w trans...then you would just have to flash your stock pcm to forget about the old 5r auto......
You will probably need a rear driveshaft yes, have them re tube or modify the one you have

i have a 2003 XLT v8 Explorer and am wondering how hard a 4r70 swap will be. It will be on a 3” inch lift in the front and 2” in the rear and 1-2 inch body lift. (or more if needed) any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated. Already blew up stock one and had to have the new one rebuilt again. Has had a newish differential put in has about 90k on it And torque converter is now on it’s way out the door I think. Have plans on possibly building motor and slapping a supercharger on.

View attachment 172678

It is possible to swap the 4R70W into the 5R trucks, someone did it here with his 2002 Explorer, and added the Kenne Bell blower to the 4.6 SOHC. I think he used the standalone controller. He did it with the plans being 600hp+, and it was 2WD.

I'm not sure the PCM can be swapped to use a version from a 4.6/4R70W Ford, that would be preferred.

I think the 5R55W can survive, but at the higher power levels, it needs every possible upgrade done to it. The 4R is very strong, and it has great upgrade parts now. The 6R80 would be my choice if I was starting from scratch, and budgeted $3000 etc for it. In an older Mustang swap, the Coyote with 6R is sweet for an automatic car.

It is possible to swap the 4R70W into the 5R trucks, someone did it here with his 2002 Explorer, and added the Kenne Bell blower to the 4.6 SOHC. I think he used the standalone controller. He did it with the plans being 600hp+, and it was 2WD.

I'm not sure the PCM can be swapped to use a version from a 4.6/4R70W Ford, that would be preferred.

I think the 5R55W can survive, but at the higher power levels, it needs every possible upgrade done to it. The 4R is very strong, and it has great upgrade parts now. The 6R80 would be my choice if I was starting from scratch, and budgeted $3000 etc for it. In an older Mustang swap, the Coyote with 6R is sweet for an automatic car.
I've got that truck now (combo changed, search my posts if you're curious), its a 2003, not that it matters. Either the early or later 4r70w could be swapped in, but I'm 99% sure you're looking at a custom crossmember, custom driveshaft, and a stand alone controller, and then of course some sort of custom tuning so the PCM doesn't completely freak out.
I believe if you used the later version the OSS signal could be directly used to provide the PCM with vehicle speed. I'm really not sure if running it all with an OEM PCM would be possible, I'd say unlikley.. but I don't know enough to say it for sure won't work.

TLDR: its entirely doable, but, unless the 5r55 won't hold up, its a lot of work for not a ton of gain.

Back