Remote Start / Entry Antenna Location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start / Entry Antenna Location

viperpiper

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Just wondering where the location is of the remote start antenna. I was wondering If I can replace it to extend the range and how difficult it is to access it ?

It's a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport.

thanks in advance...

P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The remote uses the TPM module for receiving signals. It's on the lower rear of the center console:

tpm.JPG

Have you noticed a problem with range? My 16 can remote start from a long long way aways. 100 yards or more.

I believe that is about the designed range of the OEM remote start.

Peter

you can plug the long bar shaped add on antenna with wire extension for the F150s and route it up a side pillar? Don't know if it was just me but I felt the remote was more consistent :dunno:. Best bet is to purchase the add on remote start module with the square shaped extended range antenna that goes on the inside of the windshield and can either get a 1 way or 2 way remote.

I just notice that sometimes I can be in a clear parking lot and probably 30 yards away and I keep pressing the remote start as I was walking towards the vehicle and it wouldn't start. When I got within 15ft of my explorer then it started. Other days it seems to work fine. I did replace the battery recently in the FOB with a good quality lithium coin battery and that made no difference. So if the antenna is in the TPM module or attached to the TPM module, is there not a mod someone has done just in replacing the antenna ?

Believe it or not, you can increase the fob's range somewhat by holding the fob under your chin.
"The trick turns your head into an antenna, says Tim Pozar, a Silicon Valley radio engineer.
Mr. Pozar explains, “You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor. Not a great one, but it works.”

Will putting a car remote under your chin increase its range?

Peter

So back to the question about extending the range. Has anyone done this with an remote start antenna upgrade/placement ? I would love to do this if anyone else has please share...

thanks

Mine often won't remote start from a distance, even when it opens the liftgate and unlocks the doors from the same distance. Usually, when I'm coming out of the grocery store in the summer, I remote start, open the liftgate, and unlock the doors. I'll get to the vehicle to find the liftgate open, the doors unlocked, but the remote start failed.

Mine often won't remote start from a distance, even when it opens the liftgate and unlocks the doors from the same distance. Usually, when I'm coming out of the grocery store in the summer, I remote start, open the liftgate, and unlock the doors. I'll get to the vehicle to find the liftgate open, the doors unlocked, but the remote start failed.
Good morning Jon. Had the same thing happen under similar circumstance but I didn't hit anything but remote start. Was about 150' away.

Peter

you can plug the long bar shaped add on antenna with wire extension for the F150s and route it up a side pillar? Don't know if it was just me but I felt the remote was more consistent :dunno:. Best bet is to purchase the add on remote start module with the square shaped extended range antenna that goes on the inside of the windshield and can either get a 1 way or 2 way remote.

So is this the antenna you are talknig about

Remote Start Ultra-Long-Range Extender - Long Range Antenna Kit | The Official Site for Ford Accessories\

Is the connector just plug and play with the explorer ? I woud be glad to buy this and route it, if would increase the range.

I used an extended meant for the F150 on the older model Explorer, previous to the 2018s. As I mentioned it wasn't a night and day difference to me. It plugged right into the TPMS module once the back of the center console was removed.

Maybe the 2018 might work on older models but I have no idea. This is the extension wire for the older Fords 2013-14 OEM Remote start poor range fix - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans which plugs into this antenna Remote Start - RFR Antenna Kit Vehicle Security System - Upgradeable, Remote Start RFR Antenna Kit | The Official Site for Ford Accessories
It has to be mounted as high up as possible if the wire they give is even long enough, I just draped it over a seat and experimented with it a few times:dunno:

I'm looking for the location in the vehicle of the receiver that picks up the signal to lock/unlock the vehicle from my key remote. I know in most vehicles it's somewhere up and behind the steering wheel...

I'm looking for the location in the vehicle of the receiver that picks up the signal to lock/unlock the vehicle from my key remote. I know in most vehicles it's somewhere up and behind the steering wheel...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. Apparently remote entry and remote start use the same antenna. Key Fob Range

Peter

My Explorer is a XLT from 2014 w/o remote start, but i upgraded it via UCDS and an OEM key. Which is the right way to extend the range of the remote control? Which antenna i have to purchase and how to install?

^^ Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature. Good luck.

Peter

My Explorer is a XLT from 2014 w/o remote start, but i upgraded it via UCDS and an OEM key. Which is the right way to extend the range of the remote control? Which antenna i have to purchase and how to install?

You can't extend the range by simply adding an antenna. You need to install one of the long range remote systems.

Visit www.accessories.ford.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you need to put in your year and model and then it will give you the options available for that vehicle. That isn't even for your vehicle.

Back