Violent shaking in the car and steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Violent shaking in the car and steering wheel

steven Karts

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xl
hey so today I went and took my 1997 5 speed manual Ford Explorer out today and when I got past 50mph the steering wheel shook back and forth, not like a vibration but it felt like the car had lost a wheel that’s how bad it is. I’m no Ford Explorer expert in the least bit but can anyone have a possible explanation for this. It has never done this until today and only does it when I go past 50mph

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check and make sure your lug nuts are tight on all wheels.

If you, or someone else, has turned your wheels with the engine off you have air in the power steering system. This is very common, but it seems many tow truck drivers and mechanics don't seem to know this. The result is violent shaking. To purge the air out drive in slow figure 8's in a parking lot turning the steering wheel from lock-to-luck. Do this about 8 times and your steering will return to normal.

If its shakes when turning check your tie rod ends.........

As 'donalds' has brought up and I concurred I had this issue - my GMC I had did this exact thing....(did it more on a certain grade / type of highway but..) as soon as I reached around 50 mph same exact thing....it was uneven wear / cupping in front tire(s)....if it's not air in steering I would bet anything it's this....run your hands across tread on both front tires...make sure to move vehicle to check spot that 'was' on ground too...if you feel any kind of hump/obvious uneveness that's your problem....you could rotate to rear temporarily but of course they're time-bombs at this point....

Remove your shaking tire and roll it to see if you have bulge in the tire (such as one in the picture), had this happen to me last winter.

tires-bulge.jpg

Edit: if you find the bulge your tires need replacement ASAP.

Edit 2: The bulge can be hard to detect if the tires are not removed (atleast i couldn't easily see mine).

hey so today I went and took my 1997 5 speed manual Ford Explorer out today and when I got past 50mph the steering wheel shook back and forth, not like a vibration but it felt like the car had lost a wheel that’s how bad it is. I’m no Ford Explorer expert in the least bit but can anyone have a possible explanation for this. It has never done this until today and only does it when I go past 50mph

This has happened to me and after replacing an number of parts it turned out to be a slipped belt in the tire. If you take the tire off and run your hand inside the carcass you can sometimes feel the lump where the belt has moved.

Back